FORUMS: list search recent posts

PS comp size for 16:9 (widescreen)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cathyralph
PS comp size for 16:9 (widescreen)
on Jun 3, 2007 at 2:25:24 am

Hello-

I'm working on an animation and I've been searching on line and have seen a lot of different answers to this question. What pixel size (X x Y) do I need to create a standard definition (not high definition) square pixle aspect ratio, widescreen 16:9 composition?

It will be later imported to AE and Premiere for post work and then out to DVD.

So far I've seen 853 x 480, 860 x 480, 864 x 480 ... very confusing!

Thanks,
-Cathy

Return to posts index

cathyralph
Re: PS comp size for 16:9 (widescreen)
on Jun 3, 2007 at 12:00:21 pm

Nevermind - I figured it out by myself - I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I opened a new comp in PS 16 pixels wide by 9 pixels tall and then I went into image size and plugged 480 into the width with the proportion link on ... the answer is 853 x 480! Hip Hip Hurray!!!!

Return to posts index

davidb
Re: PS comp size for 16:9 (widescreen)
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:29:13 pm

That should work, but could cause problems down the road going thru the other programs you mentioned.
In Photoshop I like to use the preset NTSC DV Widescreen 720 x 480.
That has pixel aspect ratio of 1.2.
Since we digitize all of our footage thru analog component I change the 480 to 486. If I were coming thru firewire I'd leave it at 480.
This may or may not make any difference.

Either way if you stick with your way or whatever way you choose to go, do a TEST.
That is make you image size in PS and then make a perfect circle.
Use the Circle select tool and then fill. Bring that image to the next application and then the next and make sure it stays a circle thu-out all the way to NTSC playback if that is your deliverable.
Any clients that have a circle in their logo will appreciate this, and you can be assured your image is correct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]