FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fonts loose sharpness

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R Summerfield
Fonts loose sharpness
on Apr 20, 2007 at 7:15:14 pm

I am creating hollow fonts from 40pt. Arial Black letters using the select> modify> contract 8px function to leave only an outline of the letter which I bevel and emboss. I want to import them into Premier Pro and play video inside the hollow portion of the fonts. I created it in a 720X480 screen at 300 dpi. It looks great in Photoshop but when I import it into Premier it is badly pixalated on the corners and is not usable. I have tried building it at 600 dpi, used several export formats and save options and even built it in a larger screen size thinking I could shrink it down in Premier to get away from the pixilation but I can't get it to look crisp. I opened the same images in picture viewer and it was pixilated which is why I think its an export setting in Photoshop and not an import issue with Premier. Any help would really be appreciated.

R Summerfield

Return to posts index

wuzelwazel
Re: Fonts loose sharpness
on Apr 22, 2007 at 4:21:42 am

I don't think you want to bother with DPI when you're going to video, I'm pretty sure that most video applications expect 72 DPI. If you want the text to be larger than the NTSC Frame (720x480) then try changing the canvas size of your document to 1440x960 and scaling that down to 50% inside of Premiere (or whatever else you're working in) but leave the DPI at 72.

Have you tried importing the PSD file directly into Premiere instead of exporting from Photoshop? Also, what 'export settings' have you tried?

Return to posts index

R Summerfield
on Apr 24, 2007 at 8:24:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I finally figured it out. As you suggested I dropped the dpi to 72 and switched the pixel aspect to .9 NTSC. It made a much smaller file but still seems to hold most of its original quality. Apparently Premier Pro 1.5 has a problem processing high res photo's and such. Hopefully it is fixed in the newer versions.

R Summerfield

Return to posts index

wuzelwazel
on Apr 25, 2007 at 4:17:58 am

[R Summerfield] "Apparently Premier Pro 1.5 has a problem processing high res photo's and such."

300 DPI is a high print resolution, but video isn't expecting anything but 72 DPI*. To have more resolution to work with you'd want to leave the DPI at 72 and just make the canvas bigger (e.g. 1440x960).

*DPI is dots per inch. The resolution of a printed asset is based on the number of dots the printer spits out on a square inch of paper. However, on computer monitors and video displays the number of pixels (possible places to put color information) has an arbitrary relationship to the size of the display in inches. An NTSC display has 720x480 pixels regardless of whether its a 10" screen or a 52" screen. You don't use DPI when working with video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]