FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fading in from edge / Transparent to Non-transparent

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reginald911
Fading in from edge / Transparent to Non-transparent
on Apr 12, 2007 at 11:09:55 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make an object/photo go from being transparent to non-transparent? I am using a PC and Adobe Photoshop and I can't get my image to go from being transparent at the bottom to fade into the un-transparent image..... in other words I'd like the image edge to fade into the actual image. Thanks!

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
Re: Fading in from edge / Transparent to Non-transparent
on Apr 13, 2007 at 4:32:23 pm

Put your image on its own layer. Change your canvas size to something taller than what it is, and anchor the image to the top (so you are adding room at the bottom to work in).

On your image layer, using the rectangular marquee, select the bottom part of the image from the point at which you want it to begin fading, down beyond the edge. Then, in the menu, choose Select, Feather... and enter a value (you'll probably have to play with this a bit). Click ok, and then hit the delete key on your keyboard. This will remove the portion of the image inside the marquee, with a feathered edge leading into your image.

You'll have to play around with the settings to get the look you want, but I find this to be the easiest way.

Now your image will fade out to transparent (if you make the background layer bright pink or some kind of color, you'll be able to see the effect).

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

wuzelwazel
on Apr 19, 2007 at 12:31:31 am

[TiffaniB] "and then hit the delete key on your keyboard."

I think it would be better to do this in a non-destructive way. Use Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All. Then select the gradient tool (tool shortcut is G) and use a linear gradient from black to white. Select the mask on the layer (click on the little white thumbnail to the right of the layer thumbnail) then drag from the bottom of the layer to where you want your image to be 100% non-transparent (opaque).

The beauty of Layer Masks is that you can edit the mask independently of the layer and you never use the delete key (which discards image data that you might want back later).

Just remember: white in a layer mask is 100% opaque and black is 100% transparent.

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:03:51 pm

Good point!

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]