FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Palette

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Oborn
Color Palette
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:32:21 pm

i'm wondering what the trick is to developing a photo in such a way as to mirror what "they" do in film, or even for the marketing posters etc whereby you end up with a photo that almost entirely has "cool" colors (as opposed to warmer colors).

for example, in a movie like cold mountain (but take your pick), you can tell the color palette has completely (or nearly) removed warmer colors, and it yields a steely, gray/blue palette fitting for setting a mood that is more somber/sad/cold.

what is the trick to doing this with a photograph? i've messed with color balance, hue/saturation........and maybe those are the trick, and it just takes more skill than i have, but i've never been please with the look i've achieved, and am just wondering if i'm missing out on a trick or process.

thanks!

shane oborn

feel free to visit:

oborn photography
to view my personal photography

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
Re: Color Palette
on Apr 3, 2007 at 7:36:11 pm

CTRL-U will bring up the Hue/Saturation palette. You can adjust the hue to the cooler colors, desaturate it, and you should probably have the look you want. Play around with the sliders.

You can also adjust the Levels. Add more cyan and yellow, take out the red tones... there are lots of ways to adjust the color tones in an image.

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Apr 12, 2007 at 4:44:21 pm

Also look into adjustment layers and using blending modes to influence one layer with the contents of another.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Jacki in Atlanta
on Apr 19, 2007 at 1:19:40 am

I'd use Ctrl-M which is curves. You can bring down the Red, Green, or Blue. RGB works better than CYMK. You can make your changes affect the midtones, lights, or darks. You'll have more control.

Return to posts index

Jacki in Atlanta
on Apr 19, 2007 at 11:45:31 am

Stated that backwards, sorry. CMYK actually works better...The K(black) keeps the dark tones so you are just playing with color...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]