FORUMS: list search recent posts

eps file problems

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cut-splice
eps file problems
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:34:29 pm

I am having trouble opening an .eps file in photoshop 7 Being new to photoshop I hope there is a simple explanation.

When I attempt to open the file, a menu titled "Rasterize Generic EPS format" pops up in photoshop. If I click 'OK' I get a message stating photoshop 'could not open the file because the parser module cannot parse the file.'

Both these terms are new to me "rasterize" and "parse"

The 'Rasterize' menu also includes 6 windows with different settings for Height, Width, Resolution and Mode. There are also two additional boxes at the bottom of the screen *Anti-aliased and *Constrain Proportions the latter box is checked.

My image size is 91K

looking for information as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Cut

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
Re: eps file problems
on Mar 26, 2007 at 6:11:08 pm

Here is a good definition of Rasterize: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/l/blrasterize.htm

Parse basically means "read".

Anyways, as I replied to your other post, it sounds like the file is corrupted. Try getting a new one. Have them open it and save it with a new name and send that to you to try.

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

cut-splice
on Mar 28, 2007 at 5:54:36 pm

Tiffani -

Excellent source of information. Thank you very much, I have saved it in my favorites. However, I continue to have problems opening MY eps file. I forwarded it to a friend who said they had no problem opening it up in the same version of photoshop I have. Hmmm??
Someone else told me if I sent it to them, they would convert it to a PDF and send it back to me. This is all well and good but doesn't help me for future files. I would really like to learn to do this for myself.
Can you explain to me how to rasterize this file. What information should I put in the menu? (Height, Width, Resolution) When should I click 'Anti-aliased' vs. 'Constrain Proportions'
The 'Rasterize Gerneric EPS Format' menu which I keep getting has these settings: Image Size: 91K, Width 4.343 inches, Height 0.885 inches, Resolution 78 pixels/inch, Mode CMYK Color and the 'Constrain Proportions' box is checked.

Thanks so much!!

Cut

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
on Apr 4, 2007 at 4:48:39 pm

Normally, Photoshop will display the settings in the Rasterize box that the file was saved at. You can change them to fit your needs - for example, if you need this image to be 6" wide, change just the width to 6". If Constrain Proportions is checked (which it should always be checked unless you want to stretch the image) the height will automatically adjust in the correct ratio to the height. You can also alter the resolution to your needs (72 for web graphics, 300 for print, etc). Because it's a vector file, you can scale it up or down during rasterization without affecting the quality.

You should always have Constrain Proportions checked - this will prevent you from stretching the image vertically or horizontally. (Unless you DO want to stretch it to fit something - then you'd need to check "Antialias" to prevent stairstepping on diagonal and curved lines).

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

cut-splice
on Mar 28, 2007 at 6:20:42 pm

Tiffani -

I will take your advice and have the file sent to me again. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Cut

Return to posts index

cut-splice
on Apr 9, 2007 at 2:13:18 pm

Still working out this eps issue..

I have converted the eps file to a jpeg but all I see is black when I open it up. I have been told that it may have something to do with the alpha channel settings? I may need to invert the current alpha settings. If anyone can expand on this subject I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cut

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]