FORUMS: list search recent posts

Background Transparency for cutout

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Wilcox
Background Transparency for cutout
on Mar 24, 2007 at 9:47:08 pm

I am trying to make a DVD disc label from some stills taken from a video. I open the still in PhotoShop and make a cutout, that is, select one person in the video with the lasso. The I open a new PS file with a transparent background and drag the cutout person to it. However, when I open the file with just the cutout in my disc label program, I don't see just the cutout. I get a white square the size of the canvas with the cutout in it. How can I transfer just the cutout?

I have found several tutorials that say they instruct on how to do this, but nothing has worked. It looks good in PhotoShop but doesn't translate anywhere else. Am I dreaming that this can be done? I appreciate any help very much!

Susan

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
Re: Background Transparency for cutout
on Mar 26, 2007 at 6:08:21 pm

What other program are you trying to open the layered file in? There aren't many programs that can import psd files properly.

If you want the DVD to print with nothing behind the cutout (to have the "silver" as the background), it would display on your monitor as white. White doesn't print. So wherever there is white on your DVD preview, the DVD would actually stay silver (so if the person has a white shirt on, they won't be wearing a shirt on the DVD... you have to plan for that kind of thing).

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Mar 26, 2007 at 6:24:48 pm

Thank you for your response. This is certainly new information for me. I am trying to put the cutout into the Epson Printer software for printing CD or DVD labels, it is simply called, "Epson Print CD." I see the cutout when I open "Epson Print CD," but it is in a white rectangle that represents the shape of the file (with transparent background) into which I dragged the cutout after I made it. That is, the problem is that it doesn't have a transparent background except in PhotoShop.

Return to posts index

TiffaniB
on Apr 3, 2007 at 7:32:10 pm

I am guessing your CD label program cannot import the layer as a cutout - it can only bring in the flattened image, which has a white background (you cannot flatten an image and retain the transparency unless you save it as a gif image, but the print quality is poor).

Why do you need a transparent background around the cutout? Is there something else you're trying to print "behind" it? If so, for the sake of "easy", you should just create the entire CD label in Photoshop, including the background and any text. Then just drag that entire image onto your CD and print it.

Tiffani B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]