FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop effects layers?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sunriseseagull
Photoshop effects layers?
on Nov 29, 2006 at 11:36:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to edit a filter that has already been applied on a layer? I mean like the Effect Controls in AE and Premiere Pro. Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Photoshop effects layers?
on Nov 30, 2006 at 7:55:20 pm

Once you apply a filter to a layer, it's set in stone. However, there are two things you can do to get around that:

1. Adjustment layers. These only work for the pre-defined adjustment options (like levels, curves, etc.), but you can tweak them later. What you can also do is apply filters to these layers, and while they aren't any more editable than they were before, you can do things like vary the opacity of the layer to change how much it affects the layers below it.

2. Layer Effects. These work pretty much the same as how AE works with effects, but as with adjustment layers there's a limited set of effects that you can use.

Also, consider using Smart Layers. They allow non-destructive transformations (rotate, scale, etc.), and make it easier to revert to your original layer. (You are saving a copy of your original layers or files before you apply filters to them, right?)

Return to posts index

sunriseseagull
on Nov 30, 2006 at 10:45:59 pm

Thanks, Tim!

I always save a copy before working on the image and I'll try out with your suggestions. So, basically there's not much to do when it comes to apply a filter or 3rd party plugins? Thanks!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jim Kanter
on Dec 4, 2006 at 9:50:10 pm

That is correct. Photoshop is a destructive editing environment.

Many people are switching to After Effects (even for still image work) because it is non-destructive editing. You can go back and change pretty much anything at any time if you (or the client) change your minds.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Sunriseseagull
on Dec 4, 2006 at 11:15:09 pm

Thanks, Jim, for confirming!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]