FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I edit an .eps vector file?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DragonFire
How do I edit an .eps vector file?
on Oct 17, 2006 at 2:29:21 am

I had a logo created for me several years ago. It was/is a very basic black and white 2D image, and that was fine back then. Now I need to manipulate that 2D image so that I can use it in a variety of ways, however, all I have is a small eps file and a couple of subsequent jpegs.

That said, how can I unlock or get at the layers in an eps file? how can I change the color of an object? And how can I turn a 2D image into a 3D image?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim
Re: How do I edit an .eps vector file?
by
on Oct 30, 2006 at 10:07:13 pm

The easiest way would be to use Illustrator(Adobe)rather than Photoshop.

In Photoshop you loose a lot of the "vector" utilization that you would be able to make use of in Illustrator.

Put the vector image in Ill. and blow it up 'til your heart is content...then make whatever edits you want to make.

Then "place" it in a Photoshop doc that is the size you want it to be...keeping in mind print/video use. A poor mans 3D in Photoshop is copy the top "placed" layer and drag it under the "master" layer. Using your arrow keys...offset it one pixel down and one to the right.

Now copy that same layer that you just offset...drag the copy under it...do the same offset. Keep doing this until you get the desired depth of 3D. Now merge all of the "offset" layers...make sure you dont merge the top-most "master" layer.

Now...take your burn and dodge tool and add highlights and shadows to the merged layers to the effect that you want so it looks more 3D. I like a variation of wide and thin soft brushes alternating between highlight and shadow, but play with it...I think you will like it.

Make sure you save a copy with all layers at some point...then when you get the desired look...merge it all and you will have a great...poormans 3D logo.

Tim Baker
Chameleon Mobile Video Productions
(239)849-3295
"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]