FORUMS: list search recent posts

Title Safe Area

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph McLachlan
Title Safe Area
on Aug 7, 2006 at 11:44:47 am

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask this, so here goes . . . I have a still image that has a distict border.

When I first placed the file into FCP, The border was cut due to the Aspect Ratio. I'm learning slowly that with some effort you can get around this by being careful to stay within the title safe area. After reaseaching in Photoshop help, I should create a New file with the correct Aspect Ratio selected (in my case PAL).

My first attempt to get around this problem was to create a black border around my image by increasing the canvas size, in the hope that the cropping would only affect the black border and leave the image untouched.

Can any body please help me to understand the best way to overcome this? My initial presentations are on a projector. Then once finished, DVDs will be made for home use.

Are there any photoshop actions or advice that could help??

Joseph McLachlan

17" PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.6, Final Cut Studio, Photoshop CS2, Canopus ADVC110

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Title Safe Area
on Aug 7, 2006 at 7:19:52 pm

Photoshop CS2 has preset document sizes that match common video frame sizes and pixel aspect ratios, and they include guides that match the video safe margins.

You can also created new guides on an existing document by using View > New Guide, and entering a percentage value. The standard sizes for safe guides are 10% and 20%. (For Photoshop, since you'll have to create guides for each side and each orientation, that's 8 guides total: 10% horiz. and vert., 20% h. and v., 80% h. and v., and 90% h. and v.)

For your existing documents, your best best is to drag your images into a new one with the correct frame size and guides, then scale and adjust as necessary. Better yet, place your image as a Smart Object so you can scale and transform at will.

Return to posts index

Joseph McLachlan
on Aug 9, 2006 at 1:26:29 am

Thank you for your response Tim,

Photoshop CS2 has preset document sizes that match common video frame sizes and pixel aspect ratios, and they include guides that match the video safe margins.

I've tried to find the automataic guides for the Title safe area within photoshop but I cannot seem to locate where and how to activate them. Even though there is an image in Photoshop Help that shows the guides in action.

You can also created new guides on an existing document by using View > New Guide, and entering a percentage value. The standard sizes for safe guides are 10% and 20%. (For Photoshop, since you'll have to create guides for each side and each orientation, that's 8 guides total: 10% horiz. and vert., 20% h. and v., 80% h. and v., and 90% h. and v.)

Was wondering if the auto title safe area is a more accurate representation, or is the manual method mentioned above, the best method?

thanks again,

Joseph

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Aug 11, 2006 at 5:29:45 pm

I'm working on a windows machine, but:

When you do file - new, you get at least on Windows, a window that has a custom preset at the top with an arrow that pulls down when you click it and all the presets are there, including down toward the bottom, the ones called (with guides). These are the ones you want.

Another cooler approach also available in Windows and perhaps in yours is to go to the Actions palate (look under views or windows if it isn't available) and click the second group and go down to the bottom and you will see Video guides. Make sure your picture is selected and then click on the video guides and click the little "play " button at the bottom of the actions palate and it will create the guides in a layer in your picture which you can turn off and on with the eyeballs.
Hope that helpsl
John

Return to posts index

Joseph McLachlan
on Aug 15, 2006 at 10:52:29 am

Hello John,

Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate your time in helping me understand how to activate title safe guides within photoshop.

When you do file - new, you get at least on Windows, a window that has a custom preset at the top with an arrow that pulls down when you click it and all the presets are there, including down toward the bottom, the ones called (with guides). These are the ones you want.

I have been using images at 300 dpi for my TV slideshows and now I am lost as to what the best scanning resolution is for video slideshows. I have used the preset: PAL D1/DV 720 x 526 (with guides), and using the copy and paste, I've imported an image that was 300 dpi. Sure enough it was giant when I pasted into the new document with guides, at 72.

Any attempt to change the 72 dpi and the preset becomes a cutom preset and I loose the guides. Does this mean that for TV you only need image to be 72 dpi?

The method I have been using from start to finish is as follows:

1. Scan photo at 300dpi
2. Save image as a jpeg then crop and lighten till satisfied
3. Import into Final Cut Pro and add transitions
4. Export FCP file to Compressor and Compress file

I'd like to be in complete control and know what I will be able to view, at the best resolution, without any unwanted cropping or distortion.

If you could please help that would be much appreciated

Thanking you,

Joseph

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Aug 19, 2006 at 7:22:17 pm

I don't know what you have done before, but in my hands the only way to do scans is:
1. Scan at what ever resolution you want (which is measured in pixels per inch) and then crop it in the scanning software.

2. Open the picture in Photoshop and resize it to whatever the Pal size limit for TV is (I'm using NTSC so it is 720X480 Pixels for me).
Then set the resolution to 72 Pix per inch since tv's don't display any higher. You can crop etc inside Photoshop, but the final picture size has to be a certain size for Pal or NTSC.

3. As I mentioned in my previous post then you can create your title safe lines using the action palate or you can then create a new blank photo with the guides intact and drag the picture you just resized into the blank picture and you have the guides and your perfectly sized picture.
If I'm not making sense, let me know.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Joseph McLachlan
on Aug 24, 2006 at 1:17:54 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me John.

You made it perfectly clear. I've made my final project, gigantic, unnecessarily.

Now I should be able to create and control my images, and understand what to expect for my finished project, whilst I'm editing.

Thanking you.

Joseph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]