FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering screen shots

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
RLNeely
Rendering screen shots
on Jun 8, 2006 at 5:51:26 pm

I have a unique situation. I am building screen shots for a UI you would see on a cell phone. I am doing this between Photoshop and Illustrator. My problem is this: I need the shots to look pixelated. Resolution on devices like this have a "blocky" pixilated look. When I try to create this effect in photoshop by reducing the res, I don't get hard, edgy pixilation. I get a soft, fuzzy look -it doesn't look pixilated. So in a sense, I'm trying to render bad resolution at full scale for posters, packaging, POS etc. etc. Can anyone help with this problem I have?

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Rendering screen shots
on Jun 8, 2006 at 10:14:52 pm

When you go to the Image Size dialog, set the Resample Image option to Nearest Neighbor.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
RLNeely
on Jun 8, 2006 at 10:47:30 pm

Okay but in the end I need to stay at the scale (8"x9" at 300dpi) for printing purposes. To get the "nearest neigbor" option to apply I have to resample to a size I don't want. I'm unclear how to attack this

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Jun 9, 2006 at 3:24:11 pm

I'm not clear on where your problem is. There's no case where resampling wouldn't let Nearest Neighbor be available. Unless you don't have the resample option checked, in which case you aren't really resampling!

If you need to target an output size, you might want to shrink the image first, then enlarge it with the Nearest Neighbor option on to go BACK to the size you need.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
RLNeely
on Jun 9, 2006 at 3:44:06 pm

Yep -that did it. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jim Kanter
on Jun 12, 2006 at 8:07:41 pm

Adding a mosaic effect also works.