FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing a 1000 layers to one image.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jackwilliams
Importing a 1000 layers to one image.
on Feb 17, 2006 at 4:48:57 pm

Is there anyway i can get 1000 layers on an image using the action tool? I don't have time to drag them on all seperatly, but i've had problems writing an action for it to work properly. Please help!!!

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
Re: Importing a 1000 layers to one image.
on Feb 17, 2006 at 6:48:57 pm

You probably can. When you create the action, one of the steps will need to be explicitly opening your target PSD file and pasting the layer in there.

The bigger question is why do you want 1000 layers in one image? I'm not even sure if Photoshop will handle that many layers. And depending on how big your image is, you may quickly exceed the amount of memory Photoshop can handle. At the very least, 1000 layers could slow the program down. There may be a more efficient way to do what you want.

Return to posts index

Jackwilliams
on Feb 17, 2006 at 7:08:59 pm

Its for a animation on live footage for a censorship project. I am going to scribble out eyes and mouth, so have exported every fourth frame to scribble because thats the style i want and then am going to place the scribbles over the top using after effects. I know that i can paint in after effects but i prefer using photoshop because of the way my graphics tablet is set up. This was the quickest way i could think of.

Return to posts index

Jackwilliams
on Feb 17, 2006 at 7:19:22 pm

Tried again to create an automation for it and hasn't worked. This is how i did it.

hit record action.
opened target file.
opened one of the files to be put on top.
dragged on top of target file.
moved to get straight.
stopped recording.

i then tried to apply this to a batch but has told me previous document not avalible. could you try and write a way to get this to work? it would save hours. thanks

Return to posts index

Timothy Kurkoski
on Feb 17, 2006 at 11:12:14 pm

There are some problems with how you did the action that batching won't like. I'm not going to write your action for you, but here's a rough idea of what I would do:

1. Open one file that you are going to copy a layer from.
2. Start recording.
3. Select All.
4. Copy.
5. Open the target file.
6. Paste (this should automatically go into a new layer).
7. Save the target file.
8. Close the target file.
9. Close the source file.
10. Stop recording.

When you run the batch, make sure that "Override Action Open Commands" is NOT checked, Suppress File Open Options Dialogs is not checked, and Destination is None.

However, I think you're still approaching this the wrong way. If you're creating an animation, you're much better off using a Filmstrip file, which you can export out of AE, or just using After Effects to do the painting. You're really only causing yourself headaches by doing it this way. (This falls into the "work smarter, not harder" category.)

Return to posts index

Jackwilliams
on Feb 18, 2006 at 10:34:04 pm

thanks for your advice. i have used the filmstrip export to get the frames and have now found a script so i dont have to write an action. Script feature is a really good idea for photoshop. Anyways thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]