FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I create a soft edge effect?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
castlesmith
How do I create a soft edge effect?
on Jan 19, 2006 at 6:02:44 pm

What a wonderful forum. Thank you for your help in advance! I own a Funeral Home and we prepare memorial folders for families. I have accomplished extracting the picture of the individual from a background. I prepare an oval cutout layer that is filled with an appropriate gradient. I can get the extracted picture in the oval layer. Now I would like to soften the edges of the oval. I have used the blending options and created the bevel and other effects, but would like to know a method of creating a soft edge on the oval with out hand painting smudge and blur around the whole oval. I hope this description is sufficient.

Thank You,

Return to posts index

maverick13
Re: How do I create a soft edge effect?
on Jan 19, 2006 at 8:39:43 pm

There are a few ways to do this. Here is just one.

1. Select the oval layer by control+clicking (in Windows) or apple key+clicking (on a Mac) the layer. You should have the "marching ants" lines around the oval.
2. From the "Select" menu select Modify-->Contract. Try 10 pixels.
3. From the "Select" menu again, choose Inverse.
4. Once more from "Select", choose Feather. Set the amount for 10 pixels.
5. Finally, delete your selection by hitting delete key or Edit-->Clear.

If you know ahead of time you want a soft-edged oval, use the oval Marquee tool... add a few pixels of feather in the tool settings. Make the oval the size and shape you need (maybe a little bigger to compensate for feathered edge). Then invert the selection and delete. Instant soft edge!

cheers

Return to posts index

castlesmith
Re: How do I create a soft edge effect?
on Jan 23, 2006 at 7:36:40 pm

Maverick,

Thanks so much. New to Photoshop. What a wonderful proram. Much to learn... Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]