FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple yet tough question about jpeg

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleks Petrov
Simple yet tough question about jpeg
on Apr 21, 2016 at 2:29:05 pm
Last Edited By Aleks Petrov on Apr 23, 2016 at 6:16:47 am

OK, so i got my RAW files, I edited whatever I wanted to edit and now I have to save them as jpegs so they dont take much space on my hard drive.
I seriously doubt there is and difference yet they both exist so.. Is there any difference between the "Save as"->jpeg and "export as" ->jpg options ? They both have quality slider and additional settings so I don't get why there has to be 2 options in the same "file" menu except if there's a difference. The same goes for the PNG and GIF extensions.

Anyone with an answer that isn't just a guess but instead based on facts ?
Thanks in advance ! :)

P.S: So after further testing - YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE !!! The "Save" option (max quality - 12, everything else left as it is) actually changes the picture after export, it loses contrast, color and so on BUT the "save as" jpg option leaves the metadata on (aka it leaves the details about the camera used for the shot) and this export is a bit smaller.
The "export as" jpg option on the other hand is a bit bigger and it preserves the image quality (when set to 100% quality) BUT it loses the info about what camera was used for the shot (even when write metadata is checked).

So my new question is: How can I get a jpg export with the "export as" jpg quality and the data about the used camera?

Thank you in advance !!

P.P.S: After further testing I think the problem is somehow in me, in my photoshop, my computer or something.. I sent the file I'm working on to a friend and his "save as" jpg doesn't loose quality. BTW the "Export as" option is only available in Photoshop CC.

Any help with this problem will be much appreciated !!!

P.P.P.S: It only happens when I edit RAW files

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]