FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need tips on how to approach an editing problem

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Kildemaa
Need tips on how to approach an editing problem
on Feb 5, 2016 at 12:43:21 pm

Hi, I'm new to these forums so I'm hoping this is a right place to post this problem.

I have a picture:

Now I need to "empty" the black parts of the picture while maintaining the borders like so:

But the problem is, it has to look 100% official, like you can see from the last picture, the edges are uneven and is overall rubbish. I tried masking and brushing but my hand is not with the best accuracy and it looks like it has been done in MS Paint.

My question would be that how would you guys approach this situation and what would be your method of doing it best.

Much appreciated.

-Markus

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
Re: Need tips on how to approach an editing problem
on Feb 5, 2016 at 9:22:33 pm
Last Edited By Dominic Deacon on Feb 5, 2016 at 9:23:03 pm

I can't get it looking perfect because the quality of the image is too low res and there's only a blocky path for the magnetic lasso to follow. But what I did certainly worked in theory.

Using the magnetic lasso trace around the outside of the area to be cleared. Then go select/modify/contract and by trial and error select the amount you need to contract the selection so that your black lines will be the right width. On this upload it was 9 pixels, obviously on a better res version it will be a lot more. Then just erase the selection.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Need tips on how to approach an editing problem
on Feb 6, 2016 at 3:16:20 pm

My suggestion:

0) Adjust image with Levels to make the blacks fully black and whites fully white
1) Duplicate layer
2) Invert duplicated layer
3) Set duplicated layer to lighten blend mode
4) Apply Minimum (Filter>Other>Minimum) with a radius of 9 and "preserve roundness" selected on the duplicated layer
5) (Flatten image)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]