FORUMS: list search recent posts

ripple effect -- water

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Atchley
ripple effect -- water
on Jan 17, 2016 at 4:56:56 am

I'd like to add a ripple effect to an image to make it appear is if it's a reflection in a pond. any advice? I know there's a quick "ripple effect" tool, but it seems to look like a preset. I want to create the illusion that it's a true reflection on water. any advice...?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: ripple effect -- water
on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:05:58 pm

A pretty convincing effect can be achieved by creating a displacement map for the water surface with clouds, saving it, then applying the distort/glass (from effect library) to the layer that you want to look like water, loading your custom displacement map into it.

To create the displacement map, fill a layer with Clouds effect in black and white, then distort it in perspective like a ground plane. Save this. 16-bit might give you a

The displacement map would look something like this (gray = no displacement, black = negative, white = positive direction):

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:14:38 pm

(Ignore the "16-bit might give you a" semi-sentence. There's no edit button so I can't delete it. You can't load a 16-bit image as a displacement map.)

Return to posts index

Brian Atchley
on Jan 19, 2016 at 9:41:31 pm

thanks again for the reply. i've been having some fun playing around with what you've suggested. I'm going to elevate this question a bit and see if you have any idea how to create something like this (see attached) Once I can get the "wave" almost "oil spill" look to the face, I think I can just composite the two images, however, any idea how to make some kind of displacement as strong as the one seen attached?
I'm in love with this image would love to know how they did it.
Thanks, Kalle!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 21, 2016 at 10:46:00 am

They might have just used the Liquify tool, then add all the "vintage" effects on top. That's what I would do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]