FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canvas size

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron curington
Canvas size
on Dec 28, 2015 at 4:34:46 pm

OK so I’m following some tutorials on Youtube about setting up a Photoshop document to create a brochure. Of particular interest initially is setting up the bleed and crop marks. In the tutorials they all seem to take the approach of setting guides on all sides of the document edges and then editing the canvas size to give it a 8th or ¼ “ bleed beyond the guides they initially set.

Looks pretty straight forward and simple. NOT SO !!! When I try it , it doubles the size of my document. So here’s what I’m doing…

I create a new document of 8” width X 10.5” height. At 600dpi. So now I drag out guides from the rulers to the edges of my new document. Now I open “Canvas Size” from the “Image” menu. Set the new canvas size to 8.5 X 11 check “Relative” and click OK. Which gives me a document of 16.5 X 21.5

REALLY ???

Anybody got any ideas what I’m missing here.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Canvas size
on Dec 29, 2015 at 2:28:17 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Dec 29, 2015 at 2:29:48 pm

As for your original question, don't select "relative", it adds your given size to the existing size.

---

More importantly, doing a brochure layout in Photoshop is not something I would recommend, InDesign is the tool for that. I'd go directly to InDesign for anything that has more text than a couple of large headlines.

But if you're going to do it this way, just about the only sensible output format is PDF. The main being is that Photoshop is raster (bitmap) based including text, so setting type to print out properly from Photoshop is a real hassle. You'd need to have the file in CMYK format and text in 100 black only (0C, 0M, 0Y, 100K) for black text, then export to PDF to retain text in vector format (embedded fonts in PDF). Doing anything else, you're going to wind up with the double nightmare of rasterized text that is printed in all four colors.

If you're overprinting text onto an image, it gets even more challenging...

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Canvas size
on Dec 29, 2015 at 2:57:33 pm

First off, Photoshop is a terrible tool for page layout. Use InDesign. It's incredibly easy compared to photoshop. Either way, tho, just search the web for a brochure template for Photoshop (psd). I know vistaprint has dozens of templates for all sorts of different apps and tons of print products like business cards and brochures and they're totally free.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]