FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to remove excess data from PSD

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gaylord
How to remove excess data from PSD
on Dec 10, 2015 at 10:33:32 pm

Lately, Photoshop files consisting of multiple smart objects have been ridiculously larger than they should be.

It seems that Photoshop is storing additional information within the file and as such, that information is also being transferred to the images created from the master psd. JPGs are almost the same file size as tiffs, PNGs that should be 15kb are 2-3 mb, etc.

Much like metadata in CR2 images, does Photoshop have metadata that could ultimately be removed to save on file size?

The only work around at this point is to shift drag all content to a new canvas of the same size and re-save that document.

The HISTORY LOG option in Photoshop has always been and continues to be UNCHECKED by default, so I know I'm not storing any additional Metadata that way.

I simply need a way to remove excess "bloat" from my psd without having to create a new file to output my pngs, jpgs and tiffs. The problem is within the master document. A Save For Web command or the like is not what I am looking for.

Please advise if you can. Thanks for all in advance for your time and knowledge.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: How to remove excess data from PSD
on Dec 11, 2015 at 11:01:18 am

A few things that will reduce Photoshop file size:

- Save without backwards compatibility.

- Select all and crop. This will get rid of most of the things outside the actual image area (smart objects being an exception).

- If you still want to use "save as", try flattening image before saving as.

Depending on the smart object content you have, rasterizing them may either increase or decrease the file size.

---

What is the problem with "save for web?" It produces a smaller file than direct "save as". More importantly, there is an option "none" for metadata in that dialog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]