FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with cutting out blonde hair on a dark background

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natan Szczepaniak
Problem with cutting out blonde hair on a dark background
on Nov 15, 2015 at 5:44:55 pm

I recently did a photo shoot with a model using a ring light,I did not think about how hard it is going to be to cut out the individual hairs of the model due to the limited lighting.

I consider myself intermediate with Photoshop but I just cannot make a start in cutting the hairs out as layer masks give a lousy result and so does cutting it out by hand using a combination of the selection tool and the eraser. I have also tried the background eraser tool but it gives results similar to the previous methods.

Screenshots + Picture:

http://imgur.com/a/38kPb

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Problem with cutting out blonde hair on a dark background
on Nov 15, 2015 at 7:28:53 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 15, 2015 at 7:35:33 pm

Another good method is using the color channels, most likely the green channel as it is usually the smoothest (least grainy) to create a alpha (mask) channel out of.

Duplicating the green channel as an alpha channel and using levels, you can get something like this (rapid test):

From there you can paint in the full whites with brush or feathered lasso tool + fill, after which you can use the burn tool set to shadows at about 5% strength to fill in the blacks and the dodge tool set to highlights at about 5% strength to fill in the whites:

With the following result:

It's a quick test so the background is not all clean but you get the basic idea. And you probably don't actually want that much hair flying off.

Return to posts index

Natan Szczepaniak
Re: Problem with cutting out blonde hair on a dark background
on Nov 15, 2015 at 8:00:23 pm

Thank you so much, although I don't think i will ever do it with as much precision as yourself, I will try to do what you did to my best standards :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]