FORUMS: list search recent posts

Images definition goes soft when I reduce ima size :-(

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Honan
Images definition goes soft when I reduce ima size :-(
on Nov 13, 2015 at 12:00:02 pm

Buongiorno from freezing, wind & wet York UK :-)

Ok this is totalling bugging me... When I "reduce" the size of an image via photoshop CC the image looses it sharpness. For specific examples please take a look at the images of the bride standing with the candles on the floor, fourth image top (click on thumbnail image first) http://test.davidclick.com/test/bolton-castle-wedding-photography.html

My work flow is:
High res image opened in Photoshop CC pixel dimension 3317 x 4993
Then go to image > image size and enter 500px (need this size to work with site).
I make sure bock resample Bicubic Sharper (reduction) is ticked.

Then punch my screen as the enlarged image looks soft :-(

Before posting this I went through numerous other techniques including reducing the size my percentages (I read you should make sure you reduce by 50% or something). But what ever i do the enlarged image goes soft :-(

It would be great to have confirmation here that iits perhaps the HTML that softening the image not my photoshop post production techniques!

Ciao a tutti,
David

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Images definition goes soft when I reduce ima size :-(
on Nov 13, 2015 at 2:12:39 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 13, 2015 at 2:16:31 pm

Hi David,

To see if the the site server is automatically reducing file size, compare it with the file you uploaded.

In almost every case I sharpen images for Web use, as they tend to go mushy at these low resolutions even if the site doesn't do anything further with it. 500 pixels is not that much image information. I ruthlessly run the Sharpen filter (not unsharp mask) when resizing for web to maximize detail. In some cases even twice, fading the second sharpening pass back 50% (Edit>Fade...). Basically until it looks sharp but not overdone.

Return to posts index

David Honan
Re: Images definition goes soft when I reduce ima size :-(
on Nov 13, 2015 at 2:40:06 pm

Hi Kalle, big thank you for the post production technique :-) I have since learnt (even though I need to do what you suggest aswell) the CSS was pushing out the images at 750 x 750 not 500 x 500, so it was the CSS that was causing the major problem. Ive now fixed the CSS and the images are a zillions times better :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]