FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less details

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david vandevelde
Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less details
on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:39:45 am

Hi,

I've shot the full moon yesterday, I've got quite a good version of the Black and White moon with lot of details, later in the night I tried to shoot the red moon, but this one is less sharp than my BW version, is there a way to blend the colors of the softer version with the BW version which offers lot more details, I've aligned and ajusted in size both versions, I tried all blending modes and also the blending options in layer style but none gave me the result I'm expecting..

Any idea or suggestion?

Thx in advance for your help

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less details
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:16:21 am

One interesting approach is to use Frequency Separation on your black and white photo to pull out just the details and blend it with your color image of the red moon.

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/08/primer-using-frequency-separation-in-photos...

The steps on how to create the frequency separation layers is the key point that applies here. You replace your "color" layer with a different photo altogether.

Quick test on your sample images gave this result:

Return to posts index

david vandevelde
Re: Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less details
on Sep 29, 2015 at 4:23:55 pm

The result is amazing considering I only gave you low res pictures, it's the result I'm expecting, I'm gonna read this article very carefully!

Thx for sharing this technique!

Return to posts index

david vandevelde
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:51:10 pm
Last Edited By david vandevelde on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:02:24 pm

I'm stuck at the "Apply Image" step, I apply the settings for 16 bits (raw image) as I red, (add mode, invert,scale 2 offset 0) but the result is very weird, the moon becoming blue :$ as you can see in my screenshot, what am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:26:09 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:32:24 am

Looks like you are using the color image for the Apply image step. You should be using the blurred copy of the black and white image to apply to the unblurred copy. Then at the very end, after creating the detail layer, replace the blurred copy with the color image.

Likely you will need to mask off the edges of the moon on the detail layer, lest they'll become accentuated.

Return to posts index

david vandevelde
on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:20:54 pm

You were right! Thx to you I succeeded to achieve the result!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:53:46 pm

Hi David,

To my eye it looks like there is a concentric circular pattern on the moon, sort of like a vinyl disc. This will happen if the two layers are rotated slightly differently. Perhaps a slight rotation of the bottom (color) layer is needed to fix it. Otherwise it looks very good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]