FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolution issue

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Collins
Resolution issue
on Jul 31, 2015 at 1:32:23 am

Hi guys,

I need to make an 8'x 8' backdrop for characters (costumed avengers) to stand in front of to take pictures with guest. I will be creating an epic avengers style background. How do I set that up in Photoshop? DPI, cmyk or RGB etc.. oh yeah and the initial dimensions. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Resolution issue
on Jul 31, 2015 at 1:32:34 pm

I'm not sure what you asking. Specifically, what are you setting up? As for image resolution that depends on your photos and the size of the finals. More detail please.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Rick Collins
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:21:22 pm

Thanks for responding Jonathan. I'm compositing a backdrop scene in Photoshop for live actors to stand in front of. The backdrop needs to be 8'x 8' (size of final) once printed out. The average size of the photos I'm using is around 2048 × 1360.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:45:30 pm

Is some type of press event or something? So green screen not practical?

Talk to local printers to see about printing an 8x8 banner both to get quotes and to get image file specs. The rest is all Photoshop. Oh make sure you have a way to attach the banner - might need grommets.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Rick Collins
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:51:58 pm

Yeah, it's a family event. So do you think pictures with a general resolution of around 2048 × 1360 will work for an 8 foot by 8 foot set? When I make what I think is the right Photoshop doc they seem way to small. And I'm not a big fan of stretching images. I keep hearing something about lower ppi for larger images?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 31, 2015 at 3:43:49 pm

Yes, larger banners can require fewer pixels per inch, but, again, talk to your printer. The image size is fine for May snapshots and should look great printed. Try some test shots.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:17:03 pm

Talk to the printshop that will be printing your 8'x 8' backdrop and follow their specifications. They'll be able to tell you what your digital specs should be for their mechanical reproduction. Be sure to factor in any extra image edge for mounting.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Rick Collins
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:25:05 pm

Thanks Jeff. The client does not have a printer yet but I guess I can make a few cold calls to get some ideas. Can I make this work if most of the images I will be using are around 2048 × 1360? I'm compositing a background of a destroyed city for Avenger actors to stand in front of.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:33:03 pm

If it were me, I'd shoot them in front of a properly lit green screen and key/composite in Photoshop. Give you much more control and not have to spend anything on a one-time-use backdrop.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Rick Collins
on Jul 31, 2015 at 2:40:18 pm

Ha, you don't know how I would LOVE if I could do that! The problem is most of the people will be using their own cameras (phones, point and shoots etc). And if the costumed characters or the guests are wearing green that would be a keying nightmare. I have no control over the things that would be important for a green screen setup. Green Screen would be awesome. The client wants the costumed actors to have an "epic-styled" action background to add to the theme of this event. The actors will be in full "Avengers" costumes. (Hulk, Capt. America, Black Widow etc.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]