FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contrasty and Dark Photographs

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Whiffen
Contrasty and Dark Photographs
on May 10, 2015 at 9:28:03 pm

Hi,

Recently over the last month I have noticed that my photographs have a dark and somewhat contrast look to them once they've been exported. This problem doesn't exist when editing my photos in Lightroom or Photoshop. I have uploaded images to Instagram & Flickr with both my monitors showing them dark yet on my phone and tablet they are as I edited them.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be?
I have followed the following help in this post and all settings were set to default:

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/jpegs-very-dark-in-windows-photo-viewer.345...

Many thanks,

Jamie Whiffen

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Contrasty and Dark Photographs
on May 11, 2015 at 2:03:29 pm

The problem could be a few things, but I'm willing to bet it has to do with your color space in Photoshop and an issue with most web browsers: most web browsers ignore your color profile. So, if you're prepping for the web, you will need to convert to a narrow gamut rgb like srgb instead of any of the adobe photo or wide gamut rgbs. If you are using 16-bit, you need to convert to 8-bit first. In Photoshop, set your working rgb to srgb and when you save your jpegs, uncheck the box to include a color profile since it will be ignored on the web anyway (remember to check preview so you can see the results before saving). If converting from Cmyk, first convert to 16-bit, then change to rgb, then change to 8-bit and then save. That should help preserve most color.

If you really want to work with color, make sure to have your monitor calibrated, make sure there
Is plenty of light in your computer room (many digital artists like a dark room, but a dark room makes for dark images), and keep an eye on your color profiles.

Hope this helps.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]