FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer style will not properly save for web, rasterize, or convert to smart object.

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Layer style will not properly save for web, rasterize, or convert to smart object.
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:29:05 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Mar 18, 2015 at 9:35:41 pm

I have a background that's got a layer style with pattern overlay, color overlay, bevel and embosss, and texture (matching pattern overlay) for the bevel and emboss.

It looks fine on screen, but as soon as I rasterize, rasterize layer style, convert to smart object, or export it (for web), it gets screwed up. Looks like it loses the bevel texture among other things.

Here is what it looks like in the project (screen capture)

And here is what it looks like on save for web (looks same on rasterization, rasterization of layer style, or conversion to smart object)

I am using CS6 on mac.

I have access to cc2014, but have not tried it on there yet.

File is quite large (5500 px by 5500 px) Not sure if that matters, but I really can't think of any reason for this to be happening.

I was in 16 bit mode, and tried converting project to 8 bit mode too in case it was somethig to do with bits being stepped down for jpeg output. nope.

I have over a dozen other files ready to go into this project waiting on this background, so input greatly appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD: If I were to guess based upon what I'm seeing, I'd say it's the tesxture for the bevel and emboss that's disappearing.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Layer style will not properly save for web, rasterize, or convert to smart object.
on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:08:28 am

Simple stuff:
make sure you are using the right color space and you're in RGB or CMYK as needed.

The file seems a bit dark to begin with, so try bumping up the brightness and resaving and if it knocks down in color again, switch to a generic color profile like Adobe RGB (or maybe try a restricted one like sRGB).

If this is for the web or will be viewed on the web, DO NOT include the color profile when you save as a JPEG - to my knowledge, no browsers support the color profiles; they just read the hard RGB data and output that so the color profile is extraneous data, but if you're using the wrong color profile when you create the file, your images can suddenly look really weird on a web page. You are better off using sRGB when viewing for the web because everyone's monitor is a little off. I personally hate sRGB, but it's a convenient narrow gamut RGB color profile to use.

Try saving to an uncompressed format or some other format or reduce compression to the bare minimum or quality 12. TIFFs and BMPs usually work fine. Even PNGs. Then, close and re-open that file and save to JPG if necessary.

As for the style settings, try turning off each style until you find the issue.

Can you attach the PSD file or something with the layer styles?

Try loading the PSD file on another machine, too if you can.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]