FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction - HSL qualifiers - plugins, workaround or am I missing something?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nils Schildhauer
Color Correction - HSL qualifiers - plugins, workaround or am I missing something?
on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:09:21 pm

Hello dear creatives,

I am wondering if there is any way to add true "HSL qualifiers" to Photoshop.
When color correcting video, every program I have used (After Effects, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve) gives me the option to numerically dial in the Hue, Saturation and Luminance range any adjustment is applied to, without using any pixel mask or eyedropper tools.

The only things I have found to come close in Photoshop are:
1. The "Select color range" tool, but that outputs a pixel mask and is difficult to refine since it only allows to use eyedroppers to fine tune the range, and once output I can no longer modify the range without redoing it completely.
2. Converting the image to Lab color and changing the blending options gives me the control I want for the Luminance channel, but Hue and Saturation are mixed and then split into the a and b channels. Also, I'd prefer to stay in RGB color space if possible.

Am I missing something here? I am looking for something like this:

And it frustrates me that I can't seem to find a way to get it in Photoshop :(
Any suggestions? Plugins, workarounds?

Best regards,
Nils

Adobe Creative Cloud
Working on a regular basis with Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
Re: Color Correction - HSL qualifiers - plugins, workaround or am I missing something?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 5:41:46 pm

The Hue/Saturation adjustment layer does exactly that?

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Nils Schildhauer
Re: Color Correction - HSL qualifiers - plugins, workaround or am I missing something?
on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:57:29 pm

Unless I am very wrong the Hue/Saturation layer does not do what I want.

I want to be able to specify separate Hue, Saturation and Luminance ranges that isolate the part of the image that any arbitrary adjustment will applied to. The place I would look for this is in the mask panel of a layer, where right now I can refine the mask using color range, edge finding and edge blur, you know?

The Hue/Saturation layer allows only to specify one of the ranges I want and can only directly apply its own corrections. I need something more flexible...
"Select color range" is much closer to what I need, but with the eyedropper tool I can only sample Hue, Saturation and Luminance at the same time with no option to separately modify the ranges by hand (or at all, once you accepted the selection)

Adobe Creative Cloud
Working on a regular basis with Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]