FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making my logo 3d with a metal texture

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Camryn Barker
Making my logo 3d with a metal texture
on Dec 29, 2014 at 4:53:36 pm

hello I am trying to make a logo 3D with a metal like surface to it and, if possible, some rust. It is for a rat rod site so the rust is kind of important. I will attach what the logo looks like. It may not be the best for making a 3d layer because of the way the letters are shaped but I did a quick look with photoshop 3d and it came out looking pretty good. The thing is, I understand making it 3d, but applying textures and other layers to make it's surface to look metallic and rusty I am having a hard time with. Also, would it be best to do this in Photoshop or would After Effects or Illustrator be a better software for what I am trying to achieve?

Thank you for any help.

http://imgur.com/JFFDaLr - link to logo

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
Re: Making my logo 3d with a metal texture
on Jan 8, 2015 at 9:08:34 pm
Last Edited By Dominic Deacon on Jan 8, 2015 at 9:09:14 pm

This might be a bit basic but for a super quick dirty effect, grab a metallic texture and lay it on top of the killbillet logo. Right click on the texture layer and select "create clipping mask".

Then download some rough brushes, Blood brushes maybe, and then use them to paint in the rust in brown and red shades.

Return to posts index

Cali Jeepboy
Re: Making my logo 3d with a metal texture
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:07:59 am

If you used "create 3d extrusion" from your graphic you should have a Extrusion in your 3D panel with some materials like front/back bevel/cap and extrusion. The first and last two are the edge and face of of extrusion, the middle layer (extrusion) is the side.

You'll want to select the front cap (second material) and then in the properties (showing the material properties) in the Diffuse you'll click the diffuse map and create a new file, this will be your color for the face. Paste in a metal image. Then play with the specular, shine, reflection and roughness settings. You should get a nice metal. If you need it to look better create additional texture maps for the specular, shine, etc...

Download the first issue of Photoshop Dimensions magazine (PDF), it's free and covers 3D in Photoshop (CS6 Extended, but the features are mostly the same).

http://www.photoshopdimensions.com/issues/Photoshop-Dimensions-Issue-1-Phot...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]