FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there an easier way to manipulate color tables?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Bowersox
Is there an easier way to manipulate color tables?
on Nov 23, 2014 at 7:37:04 pm

I'm doing a lot of work with bitmapped patterns that have very limited color tables (usu. 4 color). I have a bunch of palettes saved, but sometimes I need to reorder the colors. The only way it seems I can do this is by copy/pasting hex codes to and from a text doc (copy color 1, copy color 2, paste into color 1, copy original color 1 from text doc, paste to color 2...).

What I would like to be able to do is just drag the colors around to reorder them.

I guess this thread might not belong in the Photoshop forum, since I really don't expect Photoshop to have an alternate color table dialog... If there's a better place for this, let me know.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Is there an easier way to manipulate color tables?
on Nov 24, 2014 at 4:52:24 pm

Hey there, not sure exactly what you mean, but if you set your color mode to indexed color, you can select which colors you will use: open the image, go to Image >> Mode >> Indexed Color, choose Custom from the list of palettes, then as you add colors, they will add to the palette. There are numerous options in there as well. Truly, I haven't used this since I was making animated GIFs. I really wish there was a "Select all unused" like in Illustrator. If you are looking for a sort mechanism in the palette, I don't think it quite works that way in Photoshop.

I've been told to try GIMP for color palettes, but I have no experience with it.

Anyhow, if you are looking for something else, please reply back.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Tristan Bowersox
on Nov 24, 2014 at 5:29:00 pm

Hi, yeah, I'm working with indexed color, I was just hoping for something with more features (such as "select all unused"; that would be useful as well). I will give GIMP a shot...

Return to posts index

Tristan Bowersox
on Nov 30, 2014 at 6:36:14 pm

Turns out GIMP is just as obtuse. You can rearrange the color table, but it doesn't alter the image.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 30, 2014 at 7:33:33 pm

I think at this point, you might have to find a script to do the work quickly. A macro might work, too, but I think a script would work better in the long run, plus I'm not sure how to address each color individually in the color table with a macro.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]