FORUMS: list search recent posts

Font size and image size in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Camryn Barker
Font size and image size in Photoshop
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:41:47 pm

I know this is going to be a very basic question for Photoshop but I can't figure it out!

I have two projects up, and both are similar sizes, let's say a 8.5 by 11 inch full page ad and in another window a logo that is 11 by 3 inches.
When I drag that logo into the full page ad window the logo is much smaller. But technically the widths should be the same as my ruler tells me they are. Am I missing something?

On a similar note, I am working on a full page ad right now and I wanted the to make sure the font was an okay size. (I learned Photoshop on my own and I am still behind in some things, like knowing the best size font for a print ad) I looked at another ad that was already printed I did and the font seemed like a good size. I opened it in photoshop and the size in Photoshop says it is 3.67pts. I go to my ad I am working on currently and check the size of the font I want to be sure is a good size. It tells me the font is 6pts, but it looks smaller compared to the other font I checked. I even dragged the compared font into my new ad and it looks much bigger. But the pts are smaller. Also, the ads are the same size if that helps.

Am I just being silly and not understanding the way this works in Photoshop? Does it have to do with resolution?

Thank you for any help

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Font size and image size in Photoshop
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:23:49 pm

Pixel dimensions and resolution are key factors, not inches. Inches are meaningless until you print. Drag a 5x7" 72ppi image into a 5x7" 300ppi document and that 5x7 image will suddenly be very small. What are the resolutions of your ad and logo?

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Camryn Barker
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:37:28 pm

Okay, thank you.

Well, the sizes I mentioned above I just used as an example. I just opened my logo and an ad. The ad is 2475px x 3338px and its resolution is 300ppi and the logo is 1942px x 404px and 72ppi (since it's generally used for the web)

Because it has to do with the resolution does the image become smaller because that is the biggest size for that file without losing quality?

And is this the same thing for the pts in the fonts?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Nov 12, 2014 at 10:40:32 pm

[Camryn Barker] "Because it has to do with the resolution does the image become smaller because that is the biggest size for that file without losing quality?"

Not exactly. Think of it this way: Imagine you have a grid that is 72 squares across by 72 squares down. And you cover each square with, say, a black piece of paper exactly the size of the square. When you're done, you have a solid black square, 72x72. Now you have a second grid, 300 across by 300 down, with squares the same size as your 72x72 grid. If you move those same pieces of paper to the new grid, you still have a black square, exactly the same size, but a lot of empty space around it, and it now looks much smaller.

In general, moving 72ppi Web images into 300ppi print images is a bad idea, quality-wise, especially if it's been compressed for fast Web delivery. If you're working at print resolutions, get a better version of the logo from your client.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]