Most of the time, for images with great effects over them, how you start is very important to how you're going to finish.
For something like this you'd need:
- A High quality, high resolution 'Parent' image
- Copy selections of high contrast onto their own layers.
- Lower the contrast but stick to the darker tones in your levels
- Sepia/Color layer above set to mulitply/hue/saturation in layer settings.
( You could do that last step under Hue/Saturation Adjustments without extra layers )
- Put contrasted layers on top layer
- Add grain texture, low opacity, set to multiply.
- Delete the white from grain texture using Magic wand (w) tool set to contiguous.