FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cryptic Ps Shortcuts ?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Rotter
Cryptic Ps Shortcuts ?
on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:00:10 am

I have a series of tips for Photoshop that were written a few years ago, I took note of them hoping someone can help me with them, they are somewhat cryptic to understand ? Even though I've been a Ps users since Ps was in it's infancy, keyboard short-cuts at the time were not something I focused on or remembered.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Cryptic Ps Shortcuts ?
on Sep 22, 2014 at 7:23:33 pm

Which shortcuts, specifically, are you having trouble with?

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:53:29 am

Hold Shift + click the top blue bar for toolbar and palette will move them to the nearest edge

What blue bar, the top menu bar ?

Double click the top blue bar for any palette window will minimize it.

Again what blue bar ?

Double click the grey background will bring up open file option, Hold Shift+double click will open up the browser.

I assumed the tip meant double clicking an empty part of the Ps document ?

While using Marquee Tools, hold Alt will make the starting point as a center of the selection ?

I tried this technique couldn't get this to work !

While Move Tool is selected, hold Shift (Alt+Shift+Right click) can allow rather or not make current layer chain with upper layer.

Did the person who wrote this tip mean, linking layers ?

With grid on, click the top left corner of the grid and drag to anywhere on the image to set the pivot, double click on the icon again can reset the pivot
?

Alt drag a step from a serial action can copy it to another action.

Don't understand and I tried it didn't work ?

What happened to Marlin, remember the easter egg in the olde versions of Ps ?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:51:05 pm

This was all tested in Photoshop CC on a Mac.

[Christopher Rotter] "Hold Shift + click the top blue bar for toolbar and palette will move them to the nearest edge

What blue bar, the top menu bar ? "

As you drag one palette's edge to another's edge a blue bar will appear. If you release the mouse at that point, the palettes will "fuse" together

[Christopher Rotter] "Double click the top blue bar for any palette window will minimize it

Just double-clicking the top of any palette window will minimize it, same as clicking the small double-arrow in the upper-right corner. Maybe it's blue on Windows, I dunno.

[Christopher Rotter] "Double click the grey background will bring up open file option, Hold Shift+double click will open up the browser."

New one on me, and didn't seem to work. Maybe it did in an older version.

[Christopher Rotter] "While using Marquee Tools, hold Alt will make the starting point as a center of the selection ?

I tried this technique couldn't get this to work !"

Should work. You can even press Opt/Alt after you start to drag and the selection will change to a center-out drag. It doesn't affect the single-line Marquee tools, if you were trying it with one of those.

[Christopher Rotter] "While Move Tool is selected, hold Shift (Alt+Shift+Right click) can allow rather or not make current layer chain with upper layer.

Did the person who wrote this tip mean, linking layers ?"

I've read that about thirty times and have no idea what the person who wrote that tip meant. You can Opt/Alt-click between two layers in the Layers palette to make a clipping group of the two layers (top layer will only appear in the opaque pixels of the layer beneath it)

[Christopher Rotter] "With grid on, click the top left corner of the grid and drag to anywhere on the image to set the pivot, double click on the icon again can reset the pivot"

If you put your pointer in the small gray square in the top left where the rulers meet (rulers must be visible, of course) you can drag a new origin point from there to set a new 0,0 origin. Double-clicking that same square will reset 0,0 to the top left of the image. This does nothing to set a pivot point, though, just the rulers' origin.

[Christopher Rotter] "Alt drag a step from a serial action can copy it to another action.

Don't understand and I tried it didn't work ?"

If you have two multistep Actions, you can Opt/Alt-drag one step from one Action to duplicate the step in another Action. For example, in the standard Default Actions set, twirl open Vignette and Frame Channel. In Vignette, grab the Feather step, hold down Opt/Alt and drag it between the first two steps of Frame Channel. When you see the white line appear between the two steps, you know it's in place. Release the mouse and the Feather step will now appear in both Actions.

[Christopher Rotter] "What happened to Marlin, remember the easter egg in the olde versions of Ps ?"

His osteoporosis got the better of him, but if you hold Cmd/Ctl and select "About Photoshop..." you can see his beverage of choice.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:46:28 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help me understand these tips / techniques. Some of the techniques I already knew, but due to the way the person wrote the tip up, I wasn't able to make it work.

As for the merlin easter egg, merlin has become a Single Malt Wisky Cat !

Thank you once again, I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]