FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hue/Saturation adjustment layer questions

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Hue/Saturation adjustment layer questions
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:14:43 am

I'm using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to boost the saturation of my reds, greens and yellows.

1. Does it make a difference if you boost the saturation for the Master prior to adjusting the individual colors like reds, and greens? Does the order matter if you do the reds and greens first and then the master?

2. If I select the Reds drop down in the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and use the eyedropper to select just a pink object to use for my saturation boost, will it leave the reds in a person's skin alone? Is this the idea about how it's supposed to work?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Hue/Saturation adjustment layer questions
on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:07:43 am

[stan welks] "1. Does it make a difference if you boost the saturation for the Master prior to adjusting the individual colors like reds, and greens? Does the order matter if you do the reds and greens first and then the master?"

It doesn't matter, Photoshop does all adjustments non-destructively when using adjustment layers. If you have a value of 95% saturation and another at 100% and up the saturation to where you clip both values to 100% and add a second adjustment layer to bring it back down then the two values will maintain their difference. Once you apply/flatten the adjustment do you have to be aware of it.

[stan welks] "2. If I select the Reds drop down in the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and use the eyedropper to select just a pink object to use for my saturation boost, will it leave the reds in a person's skin alone? Is this the idea about how it's supposed to work?"

The Hue/Saturation adjustment only qualifies (selects) colors based off of hue. If the hue you select is, or close to, that of your skintone regardless of saturation or lightness, then you'll need to mask the skin so it's unaffected. There are methods for creating masks based on saturation and lightness.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]