FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing images and keeping the same size in Photoshop CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Elbaum
Replacing images and keeping the same size in Photoshop CS6
on Aug 2, 2014 at 8:18:47 pm

I have a template that I created in photoshop. It contains 5 images of different sizes. I want to be able to replace those images while keeping the same size as is on the template. I thought I had to convert to a smart object and then replace the smart object and it would keep the same size as is on the template but that is not working for me. Can someone point me in the right direction of what I have to do or a tutorial that I can follow to make this happen? I created a template a while back where it does what I want it to do but I don't recall what I did to make that work? Appreciate any help. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Replacing images and keeping the same size in Photoshop CS6
on Aug 3, 2014 at 6:05:48 pm

Can you provide an example? Also, the steps you are currently taking and exactly what you are expecting. I'm not sure I'm following what you are attempting right now.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Neal Elbaum
on Aug 4, 2014 at 4:16:02 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm a complete noob with photoshop and adobe in general but this is what I'm doing. I create a new file and then I'll place an image by going to file, place and placing the image. I will then set the size of the image to match what I need and then from there I will right click on the image in the layers panel on the right hand side of the screen and convert image to smart object. Once the image is a smart object I thought I could then right click on that image in the layers panel and press the replace contents button to replace the image and keep the same size as what I set the image to be but when I replace the image, the new image is not keeping the dimensions that I set for the image I am replacing. I basically want to be able to replace images and have the sizes stay the same as the images that I already placed in my template.

I figured out a way to make it work but not the right way. I exported a smart object image from a template where it is working the way I need it to work, and have been using that for my new templates by placing that image in my files and that is working but I would like to know the proper way of doing this for moving forward. Appreciate any help. I hope this explanation is a little bit better. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shumi cps
on Aug 6, 2014 at 9:25:19 am

Me also not understanding what you actually wanted to do. Any sample would be good to get the answer.

Return to posts index

Neal Elbaum
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:25:27 pm

I right click on the image layer to the right of the pictures and press the replace contents button. I'd like the image that I am adding in place of the existing image to keep the same size. See attached picture. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Drew Smith
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:55:11 pm

This looks like it's best handled in InDesign. There you can layout your frames (Frame tool, or F on the keyboard) and replace the contents of the images within them , Select frame, Cmd(ctrl)+D on the keyboard (or file>place) and select your content. you may have to reposition the image within the frame depending on its size and orientation, but the frame will automatically size it as best it can and crop off any extra. You can move the image around within the frame and resize it within the frame if need be by draging the of circle shaped tool that appears over the image when it appears in the frame.

Return to posts index

Neal Elbaum
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:17:35 pm

Gotcha. I thought this would be done in Photoshop with a name like PHOTOshop lol. So should I design in InDesign or design in Photoshop and then open/edit in InDesign? Just reread your post and it sounds like I should create in InDesign? Thanks for your help Drew :cheers

Return to posts index

Drew Smith
on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:20:59 am

Photoshop CAN do just about everything, it just doesn't do everything as well as others. From your sample there it looks like you're doing a layout and want something that will let you make multiple different versions of the same layout with different content. That's absolutely an InDesign strength. So, prep the photos in photoshop, then open them in InDesign. for layout. You can always go back and launch them in photoshop for additional edits directly from inDesign.

Just remember, InDesign links to files rather than incorporating them within a larger file like photoshop- you'll want to make sure you keep it in the same place relative to the photos or you'll have to re-link them later. Also, if stuff looks pixelated in InDesign it's because it defaults to a lower sample resolution for working. the actual file should be higher res than that. You can check the full res photos from the view menu and selecting the higher quality view instead of fastest.

Return to posts index

Neal Elbaum
Re: placing images and keeping the same size in Photoshop CS6
on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:03:52 pm

Got it. Thanks again Drew. Appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]