FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transparent .png's from Photoshop .psd's

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Moore
Transparent .png's from Photoshop .psd's
on Jul 27, 2014 at 8:35:06 pm

This is embarrassing! I'm rendering out a 3D scene from Cinema 4D to a .tif image with an alpha channel. Over in Photoshop I add some Levels, Curves, and Unsharp Mask and SAVE TO WEB, where I'm trying to come up with a .png image with transparent background, but all I end up with is the 3d scene with a black background. Of course I usually just go into Channels and Ctrl-click to add the alpha as a selection, then drag it over onto a different b.g. However, I'm attempting to make this process as easy as I can for someone with almost no graphics experience, so I'd like for them to just be able to Insert Image and have my 3d graphic appear on whatever b.g. they choose without the dreaded black background! I just have to be missing something ridiculously simple.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Transparent .png's from Photoshop .psd's
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:19:36 pm

Ron,

Your lowest layer (either Background or Layer 0) should be empty, so that you see only the gray and white checkerboard. Your 3D graphics then go into one or more of the higher layers as needed. When finished, you should see your 3D graphics with the checkerboard showing wherever the final background will show in the final composite. Save As a .png
file and all will be good.

If you use any layer effects or partially transparent elements, these will key correctly in the final composite.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Ron Moore
Re: Transparent .png's from Photoshop .psd's
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:26:31 pm

Thanks, Bill. I think I'll create a Photoshop action to automate this procedure since it comes up fairly often.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]