FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop File Icons Problem....Need A Solution !!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jyotinder Singh
Photoshop File Icons Problem....Need A Solution !!!!
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:10:47 pm

So I installed Photoshop CC 2014 yesterday and uninstalled Photoshop CC 14.2.1 just to clear up some memory, the problem is that except the .psd files all other files have become unidentified file types and have blank icons. I tried to associate adobe photoshop manually by right clicking then choosing it from the directory but it simply wont open, whenever I click on open it doesn't have photoshop selected and when I finish then it associates with adobe reader.
All the .pat, .abr, .asl files are blank.
I can drop them into Photoshop by dragging but they don't have the icons and it looks really dull.
Whenever I reinstall Photoshop CC 14.2.1 then all the file types come back but they identify themeselves as Adobe Photoshop Image 14 instead of 15.........
What is the solution to this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: Photoshop File Icons Problem....Need A Solution !!!!
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:15:36 am

I am making the assumption that you are in a windows environment.

PS2014 is a separate application than the other version of PS. When you installed PS2014, the installation had windows make the default association of those file types be with PS2014. Since its a separate application it undid the old association with the previous version of PS. When you uninstalled PS2014 the file types of course could no longer be associated with a program that doesn't exist. There is no saving of previous association, so they became unassociated with any software.

Simplest method. Right click the file you want to open -> choose default program -> select Photoshop make sure the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked, and wham bam you're done. File associations can also be done through the control panel, but I find this method to be faster and easier.

Practically the same method for MacOS http://osxdaily.com/2009/10/25/change-file-associations-in-mac-os-x/

Return to posts index

Jyotinder Singh
Re: Photoshop File Icons Problem....Need A Solution !!!!
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:36:39 am

No, when I right click and try to select Photoshop it isn't in the options list more over when I click on browse and find and select photoshop from the file directory and click Okay/Open it associates the file with some other file type such as adobe reader......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]