FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to draw on a layer within another layer that has locked transparent pixels?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Grono
Possible to draw on a layer within another layer that has locked transparent pixels?
on May 30, 2014 at 5:03:04 am
Last Edited By Aaron Grono on May 30, 2014 at 5:04:05 am

I know that if I lock a layer's transparent pixels, I'll be able to draw just on the pixels that are showing in that layer - but I'd like to be able to draw on a completely new layer, but only have what I draw in that layer be on top of the pixels of the layer with locked transparent pixels. Is this possible?
I'm just trying to find an easier way to use color/overlay layers on top of my normal layer with the greyscale image without using the wand tool to trace around it to create a selection that I can color within.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Possible to draw on a layer within another layer that has locked transparent pixels?
on May 30, 2014 at 1:44:34 pm

If I understand what you're asking: put your new layer above the lever with the locked transparency (which need not be locked for this to work). Opt/Alt-click between the two layers; your cursor will change to a square with a downward arrow and your top layer will gain a small down arrow next to its thumbnail. Now any painting you do in that top layer will only show where you have pixels in the lower layer.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Aaron Grono
Re: Possible to draw on a layer within another layer that has locked transparent pixels?
on Jun 1, 2014 at 6:40:42 am

Yes! Thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]