FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with 2m x 1m / 300ppi image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben bensozia
Working with 2m x 1m / 300ppi image
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:45:10 am

Hello,

A client has asked me to create an image of a false bookcase that can be printed onto a 2.5m x 1m sheet of vinyl to cover a wardrobe door. I think the image needs to have a relatively high resolution (300ppi) as it'll be being viewed from quite a short distance.

I'm going to render an image from a full bookshelf I've created in Cinema4D, then clean it up in Photoshop CS6.

I'm on an iMac with 4GB of RAM. Is it possible to work with such a large image at this resolution? Would I need to do it in sections? What's the usual procedure for dealing with large hi-res images?

Thanks a lot

Ben

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
Re: Working with 2m x 1m / 300ppi image
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:06:57 am

Before you decide on any file specs, confer with your print shop about the requirements. Some want CMYK only, others don't care. It also depends on the quality of the print job (and the costs). The viewing distance is the most important factor - if the typical viewing distance is going to be about 3~1 meters, then 150ppi is more than enough in most cases. That is, unless you expect/want people to read and inspect the book titles on the spines ;-) Then 300ppi is the way to go.

If you have any text convert to vectors. Same for logo work, and so on.

A single layer file at 2.5mx1m@300ppi takes up about 1.3gb of memory. You will run out of memory fast with only 4gb - since ram is inexpensive nowadays, why not upgrade to at least 8gb (or 16gb)?

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]