FORUMS: list search recent posts

PShop animation?: cumulative line drawing, aka "draw on" or "sketch-on"

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
PShop animation?: cumulative line drawing, aka "draw on" or "sketch-on"
on Nov 27, 2013 at 8:05:56 pm

Attempting to do a "cumulative" line drawing in PShop, but the animation controls are not exactly intuitive-- specifically, duplicating the last frame of the animation and drawing on it draws on EVERY frame of the animation.

I want to do a simple "watch this line grow" animation, but haven't found the good workflow. The dox are very elliptical about it and haven't been a real help.

This can't be that hard-- what am I missing?

(ps: it has to be Photoshop, so don't bother suggesting other s/w.)

Thanks.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: PShop animation?: cumulative line drawing, aka "draw on" or "sketch-on"
on Nov 28, 2013 at 5:58:31 pm

I'm not real familiar with Photoshop's animation tools (I prefer other apps). I hope this isn't for a class because, if it is, your instructor is a sadist! ;)

Can you draw the entire line, set up specific keyframes at the points you want the line(s) duplicated, then duplicate just those frames on another layer, further along the time line? In my head, it works like After Effects or Flash, but I am likely wrong as it doesn't seem to work like that in PS.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:14:41 pm

Very easy to do in After Effects. You animate the parameter that determines how much of a line is displayed. There's a tutorial in the AE section here on the Cow.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:13:33 am

Photoshop is really the wrong software for that job, in my opinion. Even frame by frame animation is a chore in Photoshop compared to most other 2d animation apps. I feel excluding the use of other software is shooting yourself in the foot here, and just making life more difficult that it needs to be. As has been mentioned before me After Effects would be a really simple, quick, and efficient solution.

But anything can be animated by manually drawing the effect frame by frame.

The solution in Photoshop is that you will need a VIDEO layer to be able to draw frame by frame - regular layers will not work, and will only, as you have discovered, copy the same content across the entire animation. When you look up the help for animating layers in the manual it does not seem to mention this directly - because it assumes you would want to animate a layer object, i.e. repositioning it (tweening) or animate the opacity.

1) create a new file (and make sure to create a VIDEO timeline, not a frame by frame one!)
2) go to LAYER-->VIDEO LAYERS-->NEW BLANK VIDEO LAYER
3) now start animating frame by frame.

To create that line animation I would probably draw the entire line first and duplicate that to all frames. Then us the eraser to remove the line step by step.

This tutorial will also help:

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]