FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I batch resize images with different aspect rations to a certain height, regardless of the width in Photoshop CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Breen
How do I batch resize images with different aspect rations to a certain height, regardless of the width in Photoshop CS6?
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:28:47 pm

I have about 500 images that all have different aspect ratios, and I want to resize them all to be 1,200 pixels tall while maintaining the original aspect ratio of each file. When I try using File - Scripts - Image Processor, and leaving "width" blank, but entering "1200" for height, it says "You must specify width and height when using image resize options for JPEG."

Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
Re: How do I batch resize images with different aspect rations to a certain height, regardless of the width in Photoshop CS6?
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:34:29 pm

G'day Kevin

If you're on a mac you don't need photoshop for simple image resizing.
See : processing images with applescript

d.

Return to posts index

Kevin Breen
Re: How do I batch resize images with different aspect rations to a certain height, regardless of the width in Photoshop CS6?
on Oct 12, 2013 at 12:57:22 am

Sadly, I am not on a Mac, but your answer did give me the idea to just find an image resizing program and do it that way. I guess I just needed to think outside the Photoshop box. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 12, 2013 at 7:42:10 pm

I find it easiest to use Photoshop or Bridge in PC or Mac. If you are using PS, drag or copy all your images to one folder first. If you are on Bridge, you can multi-select the images you want to process.

In photoshop: File >> Scripts >> Image Processor

In Bridge: Tools >> Photoshop >> Image Processor

From there, it's pretty much the same on both except, in Bridge, you would have already selected the files you want to convert and in Photoshop, you can pick an entire folder:

Anyhow, you can tell it to "resize to fit" which means if the image is bigger, it will shrink it (proportionately). So, if you want it to fit into say, 800px width, enter 800px for the width and leave height blank. For web images of my photos, I have it shrink everything to 1200x1200px which means either the height or width (whichever is longest) will be 1200 and the other measurement will be proportionately changed (ie: 4000px by 3000px becomes 1200px by 900px). Hint: if you tell it to put it in the same folder, it creates a JPEG folder and copies the resized images there so you don't have a lot of clutter. You can also have Image Processor add things like watermarks or perform other actions.

General info on Image Processor: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001...

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Vince Hermis
on Nov 7, 2013 at 2:53:43 pm

A short video showing how to batch resize using freeware FastStone Resizer.

Return to posts index

Javier Garcia Lahuerta
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:08:47 pm

- Create a new action
- while recording resize a picture to your desired height or width (keeping aspect ratio)
- close saving
- stop recording actions
- Use batch process to apply that action to all your pictures...

That will apply just one dimension keeping aspect ratio for the other one...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]