FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exclude overlap effect with colours

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Cole
Exclude overlap effect with colours
on Sep 24, 2013 at 8:19:43 am

Hi,
I'm trying to get the 'exclude overlap' effect with two normal rasterised layers that have identical colours - so that where they overlap would appear white/clear. Is this possible, or is there a round about way to achieve this? I thought maybe a layer style or mask might work but I have no clue what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ronak Parmar
Re: Exclude overlap effect with colours
on Sep 26, 2013 at 10:53:16 am

I am assuming the layers to be of a single, solid color in Photoshop CS 2

I guess this cannot be achieved just by layer style.
1.You can overlap the images keeping the blending of one of the layer to difference.
2.With move tool, overlap the layers. Take the magic wand, right click>color range.
3.click on the overlapping part of two layers, click Ok.
4.The overlapping part will get selected, now hit delete, selecting each layer from the layers palette.
5.press ctrl+d to deselect
6.Change the blending to normal.

The layer mask process can be a bit complex:-
1.overlap the images keeping the blending of one of the layer to difference. Now overlap the layers.
2.Take the magic wand, right click>color range. The overlapped part will get selected.
3.save the selection by right clicking.
4.now click on one of the two layers with the moov tool selected & add a mask to it, it'll disappear, in the layers palette click on layer mask next to your layer & press shift+ctrl+i.
5.take the lasso tool, right click>load selection. Under channel you'll get your saved selection, click Ok.
6.select the other layer using the move tool
7.repeat step 4.
8.change the blending to normal

Note that, in both the methods above it won't be possible to change the overlapping part just by moving any layer, you'll have to repeat the whole process.

If your layers are not of single, solid color the you'll have to select the overlapping part using the lasso tool. After overlapping, lower the opacity of one of the layers to around 50% so that the other layer is visible, now you can select using the lasso tool. Continue from step 4 using any of the methods above.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]