FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ctrl+E (Merge Down) stopped working in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Alexander
Ctrl+E (Merge Down) stopped working in CS6
on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:00:32 pm

Running Photoshop CS6 x64 on Win 7 - it has worked flawlessly since install. Lately, Ctrl+E stopped working to Merge Down the selected layer to the one beneath it.

Yes, layers are raster layers and not locked or anything. Selecting Merge Down from the right click menu DOES work however.

This is a default install - no plugins or anything weird. Ctrl+E is listed in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel as default install puts it there. It used to work. It's not just one one file, it now doesn't work on any file. My keyboard is fine - I tested Ctrl+E in other programs and it fires correctly.

I've reset Photoshop's settings files by relaunching with Shift+Ctrl+Alt held down and that didn't seem to make a difference.

This was working last week - now I'm stumped. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Return to posts index

Sam Alexander
Re: Ctrl+E (Merge Down) stopped working in CS6
on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:15:20 pm

Btw - it is ONLY Ctrl+E for Merge Down that is not working. All other keyboard shortcuts work.

Just found something else out. Tried a different user logged into Windows. Ctrl+E magically works again.

Is there a more comprehensive way (other than uninstall/reinstall of CS6) of resetting Photoshop user settings if relaunching with Shift+Ctrl+Alt doesn't work - but logging into Windows as a different user and launching Photoshop to the same file makes it work again?

thanks for any help

Return to posts index

Alberto Bedin
on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:24:57 am

Try to remove the shortcut and set it again (maybe to a different key).

Check also keyboard preferences (language and layout of your windows user).

Return to posts index

Jon DeWitt
on Sep 13, 2014 at 4:32:09 am

I was having the exact same issue and since I resolved it, I wanted to help out others googling this problem. I just installed zen coding- very helpful for web developers by the way- but while Notepad++ is open, it confuses Photoshop. The shortcut for automatically completing code happens to be "ctrl + e" and for some reason it winds up competing with the other open programs. My solution was simply to close Notepad++ while I was working in Photoshop, and it worked like a charm.

This may not be everyone's experience, but it may provide insight into what may be causing the problem. It's a strange bug, but it might be helpful to check if another application's shortcuts are taking priority over Photoshop's.

Return to posts index

Sam Alexander
on Sep 13, 2014 at 8:55:00 am

Thank you for replying to this old thread of mine. While I never resolved this and it continued to be intermittent for me that this problem appeared, I expect your solution was my issue. I often use Notepad++ especially when scripting Photoshop for various tasks, so it's likely that this is my issue - I'll keep an eye on it as this sounds like its probably my problem. I never expected this could be it because I thought as long as the Photoshop application had focus, that it would take all keystrokes - it didn't occur to me that another app could take over a keystroke system wide. So thanks for sharing your experience - doing so will help others who google and get stuck but don't post. Appreciate it! :)

Return to posts index

Jon DeWitt
on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:15:25 pm

No problem! I suspected it might be a common issue, since a lot of web designers do use both Photoshop and Notepad++ simultaneously. I'm certainly happy to have cleared it up for you. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]