FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using live paint

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Robinson
Using live paint
on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:05:59 pm

Hi all,

I am having trouble editing this logo. I created the vector paths in illustrator, and want to add the color and shading in Photoshop. But when I use the paint bucket in photoshop, this is what happenens.

Why is there white in between the the black outline and the color i used to fill it with. When i do this in illustrator it works like this.

Why isn't it the same in photoshop, and how can i get the paint bucket to work correctly?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Using live paint
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:54:26 pm

I guess the first question would be: why not just add color and shading right in Illustrator? Especially for a logo design, where you're going to want maximum flexibility in scaling, and consistency in colors. Gradients, gradient meshes, blends-- you can do a lot of shading right there, all vector-based.

If you really want to do it in Photoshop, don't use the Paint Bucket. Clunky tool. Make a new color layer below your black outline layer and fill selections with your colors of choice. That way there's no gaps between color and outline and you can do any amount of shading to the colors without worrying about bleeding into your outlines.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:00:44 pm

This behaviour is caused by the anti-aliasing that Photoshop introduced. One solution is to import your Illustrator artwork with anti-aliasing turned off.

You can then decide to import a second version with anti-aliasing, and put that layer highest in the layer stack.

Another option is to use OLM Smoother (http://www.olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en) to convert the jaggy artwork into nice anti-aliased lines.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Aug 18, 2013 at 8:03:49 pm

Thanks for the help, sorry I did not reply sooner. I did not get an email alert that some was written in the topic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]