FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop cs6 3d materials on separate meshes??

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith mcgregor
Photoshop cs6 3d materials on separate meshes??
on Jul 18, 2013 at 5:43:43 pm

So, looking everywhere and not getting anywhere. I import a model with separate meshes and they all contain the same material, and I cannot find out how to add new material to different meshes. Am I stupid? It should be as easy as right-clicking on the mesh and choose new material. No?
Thanks a bunch!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Photoshop cs6 3d materials on separate meshes??
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:24:46 pm

What format is the model in? Do you see the current texture listed in the 3D layer? Should be able to double-click them. If there are no textures, they may not have loaded correctly.

Can you upload the model for testing? I have CS6 and CC here.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:18:06 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. Textures I understand that's not what I'm having a problem with. It's assigning materials to meshes. Formats are .3DS, .OBJ and the google sketch up format.

I am trying to instruct students on how to get a handle on 3d and we started with photoshop since it's really basic 3d, before we get into Blender and Maya. So we download models from Archive3d.net, and just grab any one of them. Opens in Photoshop just fine (except the pieces are all jumbled and not even near each other) and meshes are separated but all use the same material, so one would naturally assume you could just assign 1 material to the cushion (I grabbed some random armchair model) and apply its own material to it, and then assign a different material to all the wood parts, but nada, it assigns it to all the meshes and I see no choice to assign a new material. It makes absolutely no sense that there is no option to assign a different material to each mesh, or am I missing something? I am trying to go through the help files and the classroom in a book but I don't even see the option to put a material on a mesh, and I'm not talking a material preset but an altogether new material. It should be as easy as right clicking on it and choose new material I would think. I know it's not going to work like Maya or any other 3d program so I expect a lot of differences but...?

Some files come in just fine with separate materials on each mesh, but for those that don't I just wanted to know how to remedy such a situation when the students will undoubtedly find themselves in that scenario. I know some models are badly put together and that can't be helped on our end but such a simple option should be there.
Thanks a lot for your help.

-Keith

File link: 6282_chairamadein100713.3ds.zip

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 19, 2013 at 10:23:24 pm

Well, I don't know what help I will be. I use Blender for 3D (I've used most of the current apps, but I actually like using Blender).

Here's what I did:

Imported the original file you sent into Blender, grouped everything, then re-exported as a 3DS file. Placed the image on a default Photoshop size file (switching to 3D mode). Issue with materials is still present. Created a copy of the current layer (this will eat up RAM and I crashed a couple times while doing this next part), deleted everything but the cushions then made the cushions from the original invisible, changed colors and voila! It worked on render!

The default color is that flat gray - so I tried coloring the object in Blender first and renamed colors (ie: wood, cushion, etc.), then re-imported and it comes in with the correct colors.

Soooo, I think the issue is Photoshop. Perhaps some models don't let you do much editing? Since there's no way to create new materials, I'm guessing you have to group the objects and apply the materials 1 at a time or at least give individual materials different names so Photoshop can reference each material one at a time. :)

Hope this helps!

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:28:49 pm

Thanks for digging in and trying it out. I decided I would find some models that worked and hand them off to the students. I tried of the duplicating the layer (group) but our video cards are so last year it crashes every time. I even tried it on my machine with 22 gig ram and it still crashes so I guess I need the super cuda vid cards, which I won't be getting. Good thing we won't be in photoshop 3d for too many classes (just 2) and off to Blender and Maya we go.

Thanks again for trying!
-Keith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]