FORUMS: list search recent posts

Content Aware Scaling on Video Layer

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ihab Ali
Content Aware Scaling on Video Layer
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:02:23 pm

Hello,
I hope this is possible because it works really well on still frames but how would I go about applying content aware scaling to a video layer inside PS? Basically I'm trying to use this feature to fake an aspect ratio change where by I have a subject surrounded by a relatively uniform background and I would like to be able to create a protection mask as an alpha layer and have photoshop apply the content aware scaling only to the background(to fill in the empty parts of the rescaled video) and leave the subject untouched.

What I've done is opened a video in photoshop as a layer, created an alpha channel to represent the subject(subject is white, background is black on the created alpha channel), changed the canvas size to the new aspect ratio which obviously created a tranparent frame around the original video frame. I then tried to apply content aware scaling to the video, it converted the layer to a smart object then displayed the free transform handles. However, when I selected my alpha channel as the protection area, the content aware scaling seemed to ignore it and went on to distort the entire frame. Now I tried this with still frame from the same video with the same mask/alpha channel and it worked as expected just didn't seem to do it with video.

The idea, if it would be possible to do this in PS, is to rotoscope the subject roughly in AE and generate a matte pass which can then be used as the acompanying alpha layer of the video so then the content aware scaling can be applied to each invidividual frame.

Is this possible??

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Content Aware Scaling on Video Layer
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:17:49 pm

Not all the tools in Photoshop are video-aware, and I am almost certain that content aware scaling is one of them. One of the experts at Scott Kelby's Lightroom Conference briefly touched on this.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Ihab Ali
Re: Content Aware Scaling on Video Layer
on Jul 17, 2013 at 11:07:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid this was the case. I will have to find out a way to automate this for individual frames and their alpha masks. I guess I'll have to build an action or something to do that as a batch job...trouble is I don't know how an action can process multiple files per step(i.e. pull in a frame and then pull it's related alpha mask)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]