FORUMS: list search recent posts

Default save behaviour

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niall Rumsey
Default save behaviour
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:26:02 pm

Hello all, quick question:

I'm using Photo CS6. By default, when I opened for example a jpg image on my desktop, I could press CTRL+S or click save and the image would simply overwrite the original copy. Exactly the same way Microsoft Paint works!

Now however, when I press CTRL+S, it brings up the Save As dialog, with Photoshop format selected as default. Every single time I have to select the jpg format, and navigate to where the original file was to overwrite it. I also then have to click "No" to close the image because it wants me to save in the Photoshop format. Hopefully this is making sense...

It's very annoying, and time consuming if I'm cropping a lot of jpg images. I've tried creating an action, binding it to F9, where it automatically saves as a jpg, but it appends the title with "copy" so I can't instantly overwrite, and it still asks me do I want to save in Photoshop format when I close the image.

I know I could reinstall and probably get the default behaviour back, but I'd rather figure out what it is. Did I accidentally click something? Is it bugged? Is it an option somewhere?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Default save behaviour
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:30:49 pm

First, check the Save command in the File menu and make sure CTL-S is still showing up as the shortcut. Can't imagine it wouldn't be, but you never know.

Second, if you do anything that causes the image to be anything but a flattened document (create a layer, make some text, add an adjustment layer) Photoshop will default to trying to save as a layered PSD to preserve the layers. Even if you only have one layer, if it's not a flattened background layer, it'll try to save to PSD.

Since you already have a save-to-JPEG Action started, you could add a "flatten" command to the start of it and that should clear up your issue.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Default save behaviour
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:33:05 pm

Not sure if this is causing your problem, but are you adding a layer, channel or adjustment layer? If you do anything that the JPEG format does not support, Photoshop will try to save in its own format.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]