FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pen tool not smooth?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shelby Medina
Pen tool not smooth?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:57:38 pm

I'm trying to draw something using the pen tool in photoshop, but I have never actually used the pen tool that much before. The problem I'm having is that I'm making lines, but I feel like they're very low quality, or jaggedy. Is there any way to fix this, or is this normal?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Pen tool not smooth?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:39:34 pm

Shelby,

Regardless of the fact that you are using the pen tool, Photoshop creates images using pixels, not vectors. That is why you see the antialiasing on the curves and diagonal lines.

If you drew the same artwork in Illustrator, you would not see the problem. Illustrator creates artwork solely using points, lines and vectors, so there are no pixels to cause artifacts.

You can lessen the issues you see in Photoshop by drawing in a larger or higher-resolution document. More pixels or more dpi will result in smoother curves and diagonals.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Shelby Medina
on Jul 1, 2013 at 5:05:20 pm

Thank you very much for the response, great help!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:25:51 pm

Just to beat the point to death: I usually do any vector work in Illustrator. While I don't mind using photoshop for simple vectors or selection vectors, beyond that it's just not what the app was made for. Once you get some of the basics of Illustrator down, you won't want to make your lines in Photoshop anymore. Incidentally, Photoshop really does a great anti-aliasing job when you import your illustrator files.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

James Alan
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:52:29 am

In Photoshop, when you select a tool its settings appear at the top. Click on the pen tool as see the settings. Maybe it is very bold or something like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]