FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pshop CS5 tools nonfunctional even after uninstall/reinstall, pref trash, Deleting Pshop settings file...

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Pshop CS5 tools nonfunctional even after uninstall/reinstall, pref trash, Deleting Pshop settings file...
on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:05:15 pm

Hi, At present, only the move tool can be selected, but does not work in any way. Yesterday after trying everything in the post title, the move tool would not select a layer by clicking on text or graphic, I had to select the layer in the layers panel. The "transform box" would appear and I could drag, resize, etc. But clicking on another layer wouldn't select it. Drag/moving that layer would move the one I'd selectly previously. Now I'm back to total non function. I'd heard the uninstalling could still leave folders on the computer that would be reaccessed even after reinstall. (Note: Upon reinstall the problem was exactly as it had been before reinstall.) Btw, this is on the Macbook Pro. I'd appreciate some sage wisdom on this as I'm stuck... Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: iMac 27", (Mid 2011), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 24GB
AMD Radeon HD 697OM, FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03
GRAID 8TB Thunderbolt

Computer: MacBookPro (Mid 2009), OS X 10.7.5
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo, Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software: FCX 10.08, FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Pshop CS5 tools nonfunctional even after uninstall/reinstall, pref trash, Deleting Pshop settings file...
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:17:32 pm

Here's a thread on this:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4573515

One comment from this thread is fonts issues:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html - basically, disable a bunch of unnecessary fonts.

Same thread, another comment: might be a graphics card (OpenGL) issue.

From my experience, if you are using a non-Mac mouse, you may need a new driver (or switch it for a Mac mouse). Same goes for tablets - mine has frozen when using my Intuos 2 (its really big), but only rarely and updating the driver seems to have alleviated this matter.

Obviously, make sure your mac is up to date, your Photoshop is up to date, and there is nothing else running, see if the manufacturer has a more up-to-date video card driver. Also, clear out anything from your login items, any unnecessary fonts, applications, check for viruses, free up hard drive space, etc. Try switching out memory sticks - remember to do it in pairs - bad RAM can cause all kinds of hell. In photoshop prefs, reduce the history size, make sure you have enough scratch space to cover your RAM and then some, remove any extraneous USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire, or Bluetooth devices, disconnect from internet (wi-fi and ethernet). Worse case? Set up a new, regular user on your machine and try running in safe mode or try running in single user (root) mode (be careful when running as root).

You have 2 machines listed, too: which one is having issues? The MBP seems like it could hang on you with 4GB of RAM, but I ran with my 3GB MBP for a really long time without severe hanging happening. I have nearly an identical iMac with 10.8.4, 8GB and CS6, but I'm not having the same issue(s). Update to Mt. Lion? Guessing.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]