FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batching videos into Gifs - possible action?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirsten Noel
Batching videos into Gifs - possible action?
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:38:23 pm

Hello,
I have a large number of videos (Pro res) I need as Gifs.
Currently, I do this:
File > Import > Video Frames to Layers
Then I run a resize image action I have made (70px x 87px)
Then Save for web > OK and save as a Gif.

I'd like to create an action so I can do this for the whole batch, instead of each individual video.
Unfortunately, when I import video to layers, it creates an 'untitled-1' document, but I need ti keep the original file name.
Does anyone know a way I can batch the entire set of videos, keeping the original file names, resizing to 70px x 87px and then saving as Gifs?

Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Batching videos into Gifs - possible action?
on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:51:11 pm

Kirsten,

The easiest way to do this is using After Effects. Import your ProRes files, then in "Make Movie" set up an image sequence export with the specs you require. Each frame will be created with the file name you specify plus a sequence number (0001, 0002, etc.). When finished setting up each ProRes file, the render window will batch render everything.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Kirsten Noel
on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:59:45 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response, but I'm working with AE CS6 where the make movie command has been removed and you no have to Add to Render Queue where I don;t see any gif options. The Adobe website says:
To create an animated GIF movie, first render and export a QuickTime movie from After Effects. Then import the QuickTime movie into Photoshop Extended and export the movie to animated GIF using Save For Web & Devices.

Perhaps I'm missing something simple?

Thanks
Kirsten

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:17:40 pm

[Kirsten Noel] "File > Import > Video Frames to Layers"

I think this is the source of the problem. Instead of importing the file, simply open the file in PS. I tried this and when I saved for web it retained the original file name and changed the extension to GIF.

Make an action to resize to 70 x 87
Make an action to save for web (GIF)

Make an action that plays the scale action and then plays the save for web action (Scale and GIF)

Choose File > Automate > Batch > select the Scale and GIF action > select the source folder

This should batch process the files and put them in the same folder as the source files.

Give it a shot.

*Note - I wasn't working with ProRes video for my test. I used a Quicktime movie (animation codec).

Return to posts index

Kirsten Noel
on Jun 18, 2013 at 8:43:11 am

Hi Gary,

That worked perfectly :) thanks for your help guys!

Return to posts index

Wes Evans
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:23:04 pm

Kirsten, I find that this method usually results in lacking a looping mechanism. Do you remember if that was also the case for you?

Return to posts index

Curtis Stiles
on Mar 19, 2016 at 6:24:27 pm

Gary that's super helpful. I'm hoping there's one last step you might know how to do as well.

What if I want the final fize size for each GIF in the batch export to be under 5mb? or a size that I can set.

Could I still batch this all in photoshop somehow? One batch export, all gifs from videos, under 5mb and optimized based on that file size limit.

If there's a will there's a way

Return to posts index

Curtis Stiles
on Mar 19, 2016 at 7:19:32 pm

Haven't figured out a way to limit to or optimize around a specific file size yet without a second app, but in Photoshop CC 2015, this script allows me to automate>batch videos to gifs at a decent quality at a little less than 1MB/SEC of video:

With a video open, record this script:
1) In the timeline menu (top right of timeline) set timeline frame rate to 10fps
2) convert frames>flatten frames into clips
3) convert frames>make frames from clips
4) set the work area forward to start at your first frame
5) file>export>save for web (legacy) and choose GIF, 640x360, 128 colors, looping forever

Hope this helps someone else

If there's a will there's a way

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]