FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Schneider
converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP
on May 14, 2013 at 7:39:34 pm

Hi all! So I shot A LOT of stills (Thousands) all for the purpose of stringing them together for a time-lapse. I used an intervalometer on a Canon 5D mark 3, and captured them as RAW cr2 files. The final destination for them is a Final Cut pro sequence.
Now i have a few questions: What should i convert them to, and how should I convert them, for best use in a FCP project? And also, I heard theres a better way to deal with stills that are destined for "time-lapse". Is there a program that specializes or simplifies this process? Something that throws all the stills together and makes a single time-lapse file??
Thank you so much for your time and help!!!!

Kyle

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
Re: converting Canon 5D mark3 CR2 Stills to a format optimal for FCP
on May 15, 2013 at 8:05:04 am

I would open them in PS as an image sequence and then export them as a movie (file>export>render movie).
FCP is not good at handling large stills and certainly not thousands of them, so creating a MOV in PS saves you a lot of trouble and render time.
Export as a Prores and not with a bigger frame size than you actually need in the end. (FCP can't handle the full resolution of a 5D still)

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Kyle Schneider
on May 15, 2013 at 6:12:56 pm

Ok, cool. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on May 15, 2013 at 6:04:19 pm

What version of Final Cut? May want to post to the FCP forum (this is Photoshop).

First, convert the images from raw or cr2 to JPEG or some other more compressed format. Keep the quality high at the start. I'm winging this as I don't know anything about the images you've captured or if there is any further processing required.

If you have the CS6 cloud suite (the subscription version), you can use After Effects to make the sequence(s): Create a new comp and import multiple files. Drop on to your comp and render out the movie in whatever format you intend to use. Post to the After Effects forum for help with this part.

You can use Quicktime Pro to convert images to a movie, but I think AE is much easier.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Kyle Schneider
on May 15, 2013 at 6:13:22 pm

Ok, great. Im using FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved