FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Close Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel McClintock
Can't Close Photoshop
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:51:22 am

Excuse me if this has been answered before...

I am having a bear of a time trying to close Photoshop at times. This problem happens both on my home computer and my office computer.

It affects tool selection, and document tab selection.

I will be working on a document and will occasionally tab over to another open program. When I return to Photoshop I can't select tools or the document. I can't even minimize the program. I will even try to close the program and the "Quit Photoshop" line is grayed out.

I use a spring 2009 Mac Pro with 16GB ram running a Nvidia Quadro 4000. I am running OSX 10.8.3. At the office I am running a 2010 iMac standard configuration with 8GB ram, running OSX 10.7.

I have even deleted plist files and the problem remains. This bug started when I was on CS5.5.

I really hate force closing the program. I am on Creative Cloud and this is the only program that behaves this way.

Thanks for anyone's help.

-----------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Can't Close Photoshop
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:52:21 pm

There are a few likely candidates:

1) make sure you have the most up-to-date version (get updates)

2) Trash your prefs. These files just get corrupted so get used to trashing them every once in a while.

3) you may have a dialog open on another window if you have multiple monitors. If not, use the green + button a couple times to be sure its all in one window or drag dialogs out.

4) bad plug-in(s). Remove all your plugins or drag them to a different folder and add them back one at a time and test. Note: sometimes it can be a combination of plugins that causes it, too.

5) Using too much memory. Go back to default RAM settings and run Photoshop with NOTHING ELSE. Also, adjust your memory settings in PS prefs to default. Try it under 50% if that doesn't work.

6) Dunno if this works in CS6, but hold down COMMAND-OPTION-SHIFT while launching to reset.

7) This is a bit out there, but if you use external hard drives, eject them all while using photoshop - see if that helps.

8) Ulp! DNR: Delete and Reinstall. Check with Adobe, first, though. :(

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on Apr 18, 2013 at 1:16:59 am

Thanks,

I'll try these out and see if that helps.

----------------

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:44:19 pm

Let me know what happens, I'm still on CS3 and CS5 on my machines and I still haven't done CS6 (need a new machine which I'm getting in a couple weeks).

-Jonathan

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on Apr 22, 2013 at 3:51:08 am

Thanks, Jonathan.

Getting rid of the preference file seems to have helped. Thanks for your help.

-------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]