FORUMS: list search recent posts

downsizing an image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith vickers
downsizing an image
on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:05:35 pm

I have an image that is large exported as a tiff from C4d.
I need to downsize the image for an a3 leaflet but when i try to resize the image loses quality. I have tried resizing bicubicSharp/er but I get the same result.
Can any wise member advise me how to downsize an image without losing quality.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: downsizing an image
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:16:30 pm

Keith,

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. When you resize smaller, you have more image data being packed into a smaller document, so there should be minimal or no loss of quality. Bicubic is the higher quality resizing algorithm.

One thing to watch out for is the resolution of the images. If your original tiff is 72dpi and you are resizing to a smaller size at 600dpi for example, you may actually be resizing larger with a corresponding loss of image quality.

Remember to always judge image quality with the document view zoomed to 100%.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:50:27 pm

G'day

If you make an image smaller (ie. keeping resolution the same but decreasing the physical size OR keeping the same physical size but decreasing the resolution) there will ALWAYS be a loss of quality because you are throwing data away — as evidenced by the smaller file size (eg. 5MB instead of 20MB).

If you are preparing the image for print, as a rule of thumb, it should be no smaller than 300ppi at actual finished size. It's generally best to leave the image as big as possible — that is, without causing your system to slow down dramatically.

d.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Apr 22, 2013 at 3:58:08 pm

as far as resizing goes, i personal like bilinear filtering. i did a test using all the sampling options and settled on bilinear as the best. i regularly create big PS comps from 21mp 5dMk2 files, and regularly scale them down for web. bilinear always seems to give the best restuls. just my .02

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]