FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove excess gray space within an image

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McLaren
Remove excess gray space within an image
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:53:11 am

I have some large collections of images: columns of 8 to 10 images across with as many as 40 to 60 rows. These are exported from a program called CatDV Pro. Between each row is gray space -- my problem is that I need to reduce that gray separator between the rows to make a better visual display and also to get it to fit on the page of the book. I have about 30 to 40 of these image collections to process.

Some things I cannot do: reduce the size of the gray separators in CatDV Pro -- not possible. It is only possible to export the entire page of images together. Sure I could export each individual image but that would be a garganuan task -- not practical.

I don't want to cut and paste indivdual images or rows. Sure, it's possible but not at all practical.

I have tried Content Aware Scaling and it is not uniform enough. Some rows squish before others. I know about protecting some area in Content Aware Scaling but that doesn't seem practical either, not with 40 rows. Maybe I'm missing something there.

What I start with:

What I want to end up with:

Open to any and all labor saving/time saving suggestions and hoping to expand my understanding of Photoshop CS6. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Remove excess gray space within an image
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:22:34 pm

Are all of your source files uniform? Same number of rows, rows and separators the same height/position every time? Image dimensions constant? If so, you could set up a simple Action to select/copy/paste/move each row into position in a new document, then run a Batch Process to let Photoshop do all the work for you. I did a test run on your small sample image above and it worked out well. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it's quick and free.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Brian McLaren
on Feb 21, 2013 at 6:47:26 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I thought of actions, but the problem I saw was that every selection needs to move "X" pixels down the image. I don't know if I'll be able to do that consistently. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:52:08 pm

Provided everything is consistent, size-wise, you could add a step to your Action to add guides in your newly opened source file, and turn on snapping. I'd also recommend setting the Marquee tool to a fixed size to keep that consistent as well. Then as you're recording the action, Photoshop should track the moves accurately. Might take a little pre-Action math, but it should work. If you want to post one of your source images, I could try to put together a starter Action for you.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:04:54 pm

[Brian McLaren] "Sure I could export each individual image but that would be a garganuan task -- not practical."

Is the exporting the gargantuan task? The set up in Photoshop would be simple with the Automate > Contact Sheet script. It takes a little while to run but requires very little "you" time.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]